Potential New England Trip

Thread: Potential New England Trip

Potential New England Trip

I take an annual motorcycle trip with a group of coworkers. We've been all over the WV, Virginia, NC areas, taken trips to the southwest, and mountain time zone. I'd like to visit the New England states on this year's trip, trouble is none of us have really spent much time there to know what there is to see, do, and ride.

After some very brief research this afternoon I've highlighted Gillette Castle, Walden Pond, Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Minute Man Park, Battleship Cove, Mount Washington Auto Road, Kancamagus Highway, America's Stonehenge, & Acadia Nat'l Park.

Anyone have any suggestions on routes to ride, places to stop, things to see? Any particularly stunning, not-to-be-missed lighthouses? Basically looking anywhere East of New York. Best time of year to visit that region for weather and avoiding high tourism traffic?

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Last edited by Elroy; 05-18-2021 at 02:59 PM.

I live about two miles from Battleship Cove! If you go there, don’t plan on a full day. If you’re Navy inclined, it’s a nice spot. Mostly all WWII ships to see. To make a day of it, head south from there through the city a little bit. Take Rt77 out through Little Compton, RI, around to Westport, MA, by Horseneck Beach. On a clear day you can see Martha’s Vineyard. That area is a fun ride for me. I would stay away from the Cape. If it’s a destination, then fine, but from Memorial Day on, it can be a challenge. Depending on timing, you’ll sit in traffic. Plymouth, MA has a lot of history, although expect the rock to be a disappointment, then head north on Rt 3A. You can’t miss on most everything up north, from the East coast of Maine west through Vermont. Bentley’s Saloon in Maine is a 100% dedicated motorcycle spot for food and entertainment. Ct has a ton of nice riding, and Northern NY state, Lake George, the Finger Lakes area. The scenic stops here in the summer attract heavy traffic. Up north has its moments, but is a lot less populated. I’m headed on a two week trip west, myself at the end of July. I’m not sure about my work this summer, but if timing works out, I wouldn’t mind leading you around this area. Fall River isn’t a great place, although it’s in a great location. One thing we do have...great food, especially if you’d like to try Portuguese. If you remember the chef Emeril, he’s from here. Roads here aren’t very good. Up north they’re in much better condition.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I live in western MA. Route 8 along the Farmington River is a nice ride. In Adams, MA there is an autoroad to the top of Mt. Greylock. (Tallest Mtn. in MA, which isn't saying much). Further north Rte 7 in VT is a nice ride. If you're into history the Bennington monument in, you guessed it, Bennington, VT is an interesting stop. Also Rte 100 in VT, goes all the way down through the state from Canada to MA, through the heart of ski country. All nice rides, if you're not in a hurry, without a lot of traffic.

Sorry for nudging in here, but....
    Hey Argo, maybe we could hook up for some of those rides. I’ve done Rt 7, and a good chunk of Rt 100, but I know there’s a lot more to explore. I’ve ridden up the state lines from CT north too. I’d ride to you and take it from there. I’m probably 2 hours from your area.

Thanks for the replies guys, those look like excellent suggestions! If it looks like that region ends up being our trip I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks again!

wjduke: I am up for any rides out this way. I don't ride on interstates preferring more country roads. If you came out this way, we could take Rte 8 down into CT, and find a way across back towards you. Then I could split off and head home. If that interests you let me know. My schedule changes every week, so it might be difficult to pick a time to ride but I'm definitely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Argorider View Post
    wjduke: I am up for any rides out this way. I don't ride on interstates preferring more country roads. If you came out this way, we could take Rte 8 down into CT, and find a way across back towards you. Then I could split off and head home. If that interests you let me know. My schedule changes every week, so it might be difficult to pick a time to ride but I'm definitely interested.
    Might have to be around August. I’m planning a western ride with a friend from Charlotte in July. Have to concentrate on that right now. I have an odd schedule also. I do charter bus trips and don’t always get to make plans too far in advance. We’ll try. It’s always hard to plan these things in my experience.