Air Bag Vests and our Wings

Thread: Air Bag Vests and our Wings

Air Bag Vests and our Wings

Hi all. I don't know if anyone else here has been entertaining the idea of an airbag vest or jacket, but I thought I'd share something I've learned.

I had been kicking around the idea of getting one for a while (I don't heal as fast as I used to), and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't watch Ryan FortNine's review of airbags with particular interest. I eventually decided to go with the Dainese Smart Jacket (actually a vest), and picked one up Sunday. This unit powers up when you zip it, and goes into a "standby" mode until it senses the bike running OR you go over ~6mph, at which time it goes full "armed" and ready to deploy. It worked great on my BMW R1200GSA. It went fully armed as soon as I started the bike, and stayed that way throughout my commute. Today on the Wing, the vest kept going into standby every time I stopped for a redlight or stop sign. It seems that the Wing is just too darn smooth for the vest to realize you're on it. It would "arm" once I got moving again. Unfortunately this would mean that if I got hit while at the redlight (one of the advertised features of the vest), I'd be completely unprotected.

I'm now going through the process with the vendor to return the unit and go a different route.

Stay safe out there...

Good to know. We have a fun but dangerous hobby. I’m about ready to put a strobe light on my helmet. I’m already ATGATT from head to toe. The family knows I’m doing what I enjoy most. If the farm gets purchased on my watch, so be it. It’s pretty rough up here in the Northeast. But...let’s ride!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

rdbonds thanks for that info, very curious what route you end up taking, I have been considering this as well, and the stationary aspect is not trivial as we all know.

wjduke - Agree. There is no "zero risk" way to ride. Like you, I'm ATGATT. The published data on them is pretty darn impressive, though. Depending on model, equivalent to wearing 7-18 CE level 1 protectors (back and front) depending on model. Now that the cost of these kinds of seemingly game changing devices is down there with the cost of a good quality helmet, I'm thinking it's time to give it a try. Everyone's risk tolerance is, of course, different.

maxrider - I was torn between the Alpinestar Tech5 and the Dainese. After trying on both Sunday, I bought the Dainese as it was marginally more comfortable trying it on in the store. The A-star unit is actually a bit more protective, so I'm working with the vendor to swap this one for the A-star unit.

So after having done my DD on the subject, and pondering the issues, I finally arrived at what would work best for me.

The only issue which was not resolved, until I spoke with a factory rep, was the length of the tether strap. There is no mention in any literature I found about that subject.

They come with the option of standard and or long according to the rep, in which case I prefer long, due to the mounting point location of the F6B and my upper torse and riding style.

As far the other criteria for selecting the Helite Turtle 2 airbag-vest, was the ability to use my heated gear, no need for the oversize jacket to accommodate the expansion of the airbag, no electronics to fail, no send in after use with an associated cost, easy replacement cartridge on the spot to continue the ride and have use of the product, and better expansion than an internally worn vest, more expansion coverage for the critical area's.

But like the saying, one size does not fit all

Contact info, 1-510-595-3300, they offered a 10% discount, ironically "madmax" , shipped it free FedEx, and most big box stores are out of popular sizes, but the Reno warehouse had my size available in black.
    Last edited by maxrider; 05-19-2021 at 12:59 PM.

The Helites are really, really nice kit. That's the one that Ryan at FortNine recommends (not that he's an expert, but he is a darn entertaining presenter). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jZryt607U&t=1s

The Helite E-Turtle (non-tethered) unit is currently available in the UK and EU. They are using a recommended fork sensor to help detect crashes quicker. I hear there are some EU vendors that will ship to the US, even though it's technically not available here yet.

The only issue I have with the electronic sensor is that it does not discriminate enough, as you have read as well rdbonds, there are instances where the units have gone in the deploy mode encountering bumpy road surface, and that is not likely to happen with the tether cord.

So what it boils down to is the inconvenience of the tether vs the freedom of the electronic unit (with the potential of unwanted deployment) me I take the umbilical cord, heck I had one from birth choices, choices.

But for the pennies per day, a lot of peace of mind, and cheaper than medical bills, and pain and suffering.

You all be safe.

Circling back around on this...as an update, the A* Tech Air 5 came in on Friday and I was able to swap out the Dainese Smart Jacket for it. It was a busy weekend, and I didn't manage to get out to ride, but rode today on my commute. As expected, the Alipinestar vest stayed active throughout my commute (including stops). Also, the unit seems to flow more air than the Dainese, but I'll know more this afternoon when it's expected to be 90+ degF on the commute home.