'16 F6B Radio > Aux > USB issue

Thread: '16 F6B Radio > Aux > USB issue

'16 F6B Radio > Aux > USB issue

Since day one of owning my F6B Deluxe, I've had a small USB Flash Drive connected to the USB plug (on a wire) in the left-side saddlebag for playing MP3 files (music). During my ride today -- after years of no issues -- the songs kept stopping and restarting for a few seconds and then would outright stop. Switched to FM radio... sound is fine. Switch back to AUX > USB and nada.

Back from ride... bike is parked and tried a different Flash Drive and the same thing. So guessing it isn't a "vibration/wire loose" thing.

Suggestions on how to proceed with troubleshooting or does someone know what is going on and how to resolve the issue?

EDIT: Spent more time searching the "net" and found some instructions on formatting the USB Flash Drive. I tried the FAT32 format (instead of standard FAT (default) -- which is how the other Drives were formatted) and that seems to have solved the problem. We'll see how tomorrow's ride goes and if the muzak will play-on without interruption.
    Last edited by OlyF6B; 05-22-2021 at 08:43 PM.

As I was reading your post, the first thing I was gonna suggest was reformatting the drive and reloading the music, and not the quick format but FULL. In Windows File Explorer you can also right click, selected Properties, then Tools, and then "Error Checking" before the FULL format.

Last paragraph say that's what you did that and "changed" to FAT32. For Windows, the newer exFAT is becoming default on newer larger USB drives. I'd expect the older FAT32 should be the best for a 2013 to 2017 system.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

You said you had no issues for years. So it was working good.
    My USB port will only take certain usb sticks. Mine did the same thing as yours. Starting and stoping and starting over when it lost connection.
    It has to do with the socket on the bike. Ive only found one no name stick that works. Didn't matter how it was formatted.
    The others would work if I held them just right in the port or socket.
    I have tried half a dozen or more with only one that works.
    So,,,, good luck.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Sounds like similar symptoms! I had a small USB Flash Drive attached and used a thin strip of Guerilla Tape to "secure" the drive to the socket. Also then Guerilla Taped the assembly to the roof (top) of the saddlebag so avoid "swinging" (movement) and such to avoid stressing the connection. So, weird indeed that it started up for no apparent reason with the stop/start/restart thing. Anyway, the new Flash Drive is just a cheap one (trade show bling) and with the FAT32 formatting (not Quick Format), it seems to be working fine -- taped-up as before. Time will tell!

Same here. Used a USB receiver in the left saddlebag for a couple of years then seems to cut out a lot. Replaced it with this one and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c=1&pldnSite=1

I used velcro to attach it to the inside top of the saddlebag.

Only issue when using Pandora on bluetooth, if my phone rings, music stops and a voice in Chinese voice announces caller. I simply wait to go to voicemail and music starts up again.