Camelback or similar
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camelback or similar

Camelback or similar

On this trip I’m taking it’s going to be the middle of the summer. Last year at the same time, I did a similar trip south. Did the BRP and the Skyline Drive in full. Anyway, it hit the upper 90’s on the way down, especially when I hit 81. When I got to my hotel in Front Royal, my vision was fading and I think I had a touch of heat stroke. What’s the general opinion out here on an item like this? What size also? They’re not expensive, but I don’t want to be bogged down like a backpack either. Thanks for any input.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I can sympathize with your problem. Dehydration is a serious threat during summer riding. I made a hydration system that consists of a one gallon insulated Coleman water jug with 1/4 inch food grade clear plastic tubing and a camelback bite valve. I mad a fixture that bolts to the right rear crash bar and right passenger peg. When you raise the drinking spout on the Coleman gallon jug the opening is big enough you can force the tubing down the spout and into the jug. About six inches from bite valve i wrap the tubing with Velcro and secure it with small tie wraps. A small piece of Velcro with adhesive back stuck to the top of the gas door gives a place to put the hose when you are riding. I can fill the jug with ice and then water and I stay hydrated all day. Making the bracket to go on the crash bar and rear foot peg is the only fabricating required. I used this system for over six years with no problems.

Good Luck
    Az Wingrider

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    I can sympathize with your problem. Dehydration is a serious threat during summer riding. I made a hydration system that consists of a one gallon insulated Coleman water jug with 1/4 inch food grade clear plastic tubing and a camelback bite valve. I mad a fixture that bolts to the right rear crash bar and right passenger peg. When you raise the drinking spout on the Coleman gallon jug the opening is big enough you can force the tubing down the spout and into the jug. About six inches from bite valve i wrap the tubing with Velcro and secure it with small tie wraps. A small piece of Velcro with adhesive back stuck to the top of the gas door gives a place to put the hose when you are riding. I can fill the jug with ice and then water and I stay hydrated all day. Making the bracket to go on the crash bar and rear foot peg is the only fabricating required. I used this system for over six years with no problems.

Good Luck
    Az Wingrider
    That is exactly something I've been trying to create, off and on. My other option is to design a bracket that would attach to the right front fairing, where my right knee points to. Like an oversized drink holder. I can't bear the thought of drilling into that particular area of the Tupperware though. Possibly two side adhesive tape would work, but the heat from the radiator may soften it too much. Still kicking it around.

For now I just drink as much water as I can at each gas stop. Then I have to pee later. First world problems, I know....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

A cup holder works good for me. A little fabric cooler in the trunk.
    A cup with a straw in the cup holder. I can lean forward and take a sip.
    In hot weather you need to get off and wet your long sleeve shirt. Fishing shirts work nice.
    Keep the sun off as much as possible. I ware an extra large half helmet with a big vizor.
    Or get innovative and design something, then share it with us.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Well, fabricating isn’t my thing. I drank all the way down, stopping for fuel and making stops just to cool off and still had the over heating. Guess we’re spoiled by cooler weather up north. I’m hoping to get some opinions on actual usage of the product. I was thinking of a simple cup holder too. That’s one of the reasons for the new modular I got.

I've seen AZ Wingrider's setup and it's pretty good.

I'm from Texas and accustomed to hot weather. I didn't need that much of a container and DIDN'T want a "Big Gulp" hanging on my handlebars. I mounted a bike water bottle cage on a piece of metal and bolted it to the right side passenger peg location.

If you do something like this make sure you get a water bottle, or whatever, with a straw so you don't have to lean your head back to drink.

WaterCage.jpg

Lastly, on longer trips, I carry one or two 32oz Nalgene bottles somewhere in a bag.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 06-14-2021 at 09:34 AM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I just like a bottle of water or Gatorade so I use a mountian bike cup holder, It holds a 16-20 oz water or Gatorade bottle securely. It doesn't take up much space and I have been using them since my Valk days.

cup holder.jpg cup holder 2.jpg cup holder 3.jpg

Just got the same bolt that holds the brake reservoir in a little longer length and found a spacer that makes the holder stand straight up instead of leaning forward. Have used them for many years through many states.
    Last edited by valkmc; 06-14-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

I use the Ram Butler cup holder mounted on handlebars with a yeti / contigo cup cup filled with ice / add water as needed
    I use on my kayak on the bay here in Destin, FL fishing 6 hours in sun. 2 yeti cups filled with ice and a few 1/4 gator aid filled with water.

No beer or soda in the heat

Stevenolts I just rode 15 hours from St Louis to Destin Fl 2 weeks ago / I almost froze to death the first half / the second half it was hot as hell

I use a 3L Camelbak with ice on all my long/hot rides. It's not in the way and is easily used, even with my full faced helmet.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Thanks, I’ll look into that