Camelback or similar - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camelback or similar

I fill a regular camel back about 3/4 with water and then stick it in the freezer. Whenever I'm ready to ride I take it out and fill it the rest of the way with a little water and put it into the small little hydration backpack and wear that under my mesh jacket. Texas sun melts enough to drink and the cold on the spine does wonders in triple digit heat.

Jason

Is not the maintenance (cleaning) of a camelback's bladder a little more involved though?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Is not the maintenance (cleaning) of a camelback's bladder a little more involved though?
    It's not too bad, Willtill. They have a really big screw-on cap that makes it easy to spray inside if you need to. And then you can just fill it up with water and a little baking soda and lemon juice and let it sit for 20 minutes. Run the same the solution through the hose, and then hang both to dry.

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 06-19-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Yeah, I just use a Camelback. It does not heat up that much if you are drinking as you should be. I am at the age now where my bladder does not out last my gas tank. Fill and empty often!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Just did trip from MD to Florida and back. the Camel back was a savior. I love it. It was 97 degrees returning and the camel back kept me alive and all I had to do was to make sure I kept ice in it at every gas stop.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetoc View Post
    Yeah, I just use a Camelback. It does not heat up that much if you are drinking as you should be. I am at the age now where my bladder does not out last my gas tank. Fill and empty often!
    I've frequently said eff it and just whip it out under a overpass. Quicker to do that than wait on a rest stop to appear or lose time at a gas stop if I didn't need gas but gotta go...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

After all this, I’ve decided to order a cup holder. I feel like I’ll get a lot more use from it than a camelback type thing. I wasn’t too keen on something on my back for a long time either. I’ll just have to keep buying drinks in the way at gas stops and hope it works out. I ordered the Ram mount one from Wingstuff. Saw some decent reviews, one bad one, but I’m not aggressive and I think it’ll work out. Thanks for all the input, and I’m actually enjoying the aftermath chat more lol.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Truth be told, other than rinsing them out with warm, soapy water now and again, I've never bothered in about 30 years of using them. There are a few rules with mine, however. 1 - Nothing but water. 2 - Never freeze the water in the bladder (seems to make the insides all nasty). 3 - Drain and air out after each use.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Found this on another Goldwing forum. Looks interesting.
    https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/moto-jug.470067/

I also saw that Moto-Jug also on another forum. I'm still sticking with my self made cup holder on the right side passenger peg mount. I've recently found a 32oz Owala Free Sip insulated water bottle that works perfectly and is easy to clean. After 32oz it's time to stop.

Make sure any CUP that goes in your cup holder has a straw inside so you don't have to block your vision by lifting it in front of your eyes.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.