Overdrive Light - Not Too Bright (not that I should throw stones)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overdrive Light - Not Too Bright (not that I should throw stones)

Overdrive Light - Not Too Bright (not that I should throw stones)

Looking for suggestions on what I can do to make it easier to see the overdrive light in direct sunlight.

I'm tired of trying to shift up only to find I am already in fifth gear. The neutral is bright enough and so are the high beam indicator and the turn signals indicator.

Is there a brighter bulb, some way to shade the area or run an led light somewhere else on the dash area?

I could get one of the gear position gizmos but hope there is a simpler less expensive solution.

Thanks
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Shoot, I have a GIPro installed and I STILL try to shift pass 5th at times... It's just the nature of the beast.

https://www.bikehps.com/gipro/

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Shoot, I have a GIPro installed and I STILL try to shift pass 5th at times... It's just the nature of the beast.

https://www.bikehps.com/gipro/
    Please let me know:
    Which model GIPro did you install?
    which color did you go with?
    where did you install it?

I bought a 2014 new in 2016 and this has annoyed me for 5 years. Time for me to find a solution or get over it.
    Last edited by terryboyle; 07-07-2021 at 11:21 PM.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

I just got used to observing the angles of the tach and speedo: Speedo angle steeper than tach means 5th; about same is 4th. Still occasionally reached for a higher gear.

Interesting.

I've always wondered why the OD light was there (other than my BMW, I've never owned a bike that had any indication of what gear you were in...you just kind of knew). It also seemed odd that a "normal" situation like being in 5th gear would be amber...since typically normal conditions are green, caution lamps (MIL) are amber and warning (oil light) are red.

The OD light isn't very bright for sure. I installed a red gear indicator light under the left speaker grill. Used some very sticky putty tape to mount it.
    It has worked flawlessly, and you can see it in the sun. I installed a blue volt meter of the same size under the right speaker grill.
    But I agree the B could use another gear, or, Spread them out more.
    First gear is a creeper gear and I only use it when taking off on hills.
    The motor has plenty of power for a better gear ratio set up. 3k rpm at 70 is a bit much for the power it has.
    Id like to see it around 2600rpm where your getting into the low end of the power band.
    ITS ALL GOOD

As I remember my 1984 V65 Sabre had a numeric gear readout as well as the the OD light. It also had self cancelling turn signals that worked as poorly as those on my F6B.

I have a gipro gear indicator on mine. It is red lights and I am mostly happy with it. I have it mounted behind the left speaker grill and I can see it pretty well. My only gripe is that if the clutch is pulled in the indicator goes blank. Nothing major...just annoying.

I would REALLY like to have a 6th gear on this bike as well. Its got plenty of power. It would definitely be nice to see the rpm a bit lower at interstate cruise speed
    2015 matte silver F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Dweisman429 View Post
    I have a gipro gear indicator on mine. It is red lights and I am mostly happy with it. I have it mounted behind the left speaker grill and I can see it pretty well. My only gripe is that if the clutch is pulled in the indicator goes blank. Nothing major...just annoying.

I would REALLY like to have a 6th gear on this bike as well. Its got plenty of power. It would definitely be nice to see the rpm a bit lower at interstate cruise speed
    I have a Valkyrie rear tire (180/70 x 16) mounted on my spare rim, and will install it as soon as the current tire wears out. It will increase the diameter by about 3/4", which will drop the revs a bit. I'm interested to see how the increased ride height and lower RPM works out.

Have you heard of HENRY’s Final Drive?
    It’s a remanufactured final assembly with taller gear ratio.
    It actually puts the rpm right where you mentioned.
    I installed it on my 2016 F6B last December and I cannot be happier!
    Mine runs right around 3000rpm @80mph.

I highly recommend it!