New owner 1st impressions - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New owner 1st impressions

I saw that a few years ago. A couple on a Harley came out of a liquor store with only a bag of ice. I had to ask, and the woman said they tied it to the handlebars and punched holes in it. They had no windshield but apparently it worked.

Congrats on the new to you bike, glengarrygr. I suspect you won't be disappointed.

I did a fly-n-ride to pick mine up when I bought it new in July 2014. Flew out, picked her up and rode her home. It's a great way to get to know the bike.

Good luck with the relo.

Quote Originally Posted by glengarrygr View Post
    HI willtill. I spent 12 years in Silver Spring, MD. I hadn't heard of the ice bag trick either. I found it looking for survival tips. But trust me it worked. The turbulence in that area of the bike resulted in a continuous sprinkle of ice cold water droplets on the face (Shark full face helmet with movable jaw part slid to back) and neck. I could vary it by the number and size of the punctured holes. I also kept a cube in my mouth. The bag stayed in place perfectly. Here is a pic.
    Attachment 8058
    How interesting. Will keep that idea in the ol'e bag of tricks!

By the way, welcome to the forum.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

That’s my riding area. Lakeville, Rochester, out that way. I work out of New Bedford and my mother and sister live there now.
    I did 674 today to get to my sisters in Houston. BTW, I stayed in a dinky motel last night on old Rt66. Had to buy a hat for the occasion. It was dinky, but I’m telling you guys this….it was $60 for the night, and just as good as any we paid four times as much for. The Fabulous 40’s it’s called, Adrian, TX.
    Last edited by wjduke; 07-25-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Welcome to the F6B family. I'm fairly new here myself but I love the bike and the ride. It satisfying to have the comfort & reliability of a Honda.

Was that the one that had "Cadillac" stickers on the side bags? I had seen it and was thinking about going to get it before I found mine but decided I didn't like the stickers or all the chrome, glad you like her though.

Yes rdbonds, what a way to get to know the bike. I did 6 hours in that heat and it took my energy away. I stopped overnight and finished the trip the next morning. Our family is relocating to Alpharetta...I see you are only 1 hour from me. We will have to meet up with other F6B riders. Must be at least a few in Atlanta area.

Quote Originally Posted by FarsideF6B View Post
    Welcome to the F6B family. I'm fairly new here myself but I love the bike and the ride. It satisfying to have the comfort & reliability of a Honda.
    I feel adopted.

It was the Cadillac one. The owner was a really nice guy. I asked him to remove it for me...it was just a chrome sticker. And the reason I purchased this one was the Madstad & Cobra pipes...which I didn't realize would be a drawback. So I'll do the Torq Loopz mod. Also, I will remove the chrome around the front wheel. Don't like it. And I may put the black back on the chrome along the lower side. Not sure I like that either!

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    BTW, I stayed in a dinky motel last night on old Rt66. Had to buy a hat for the occasion. It was dinky, but I’m telling you guys this….it was $60 for the night, and just as good as any we paid four times as much for. The Fabulous 40’s it’s called, Adrian, TX.
    There are lots of nice old motels along the original Route 66. A decade ago I stayed at one in Tucumcari, NM. It was built in the 1960s, with the large rooms that were typical then. It was spotless and priced absurdly low. The bed felt nearly new, but most of the furniture was decades old, yet in surprisingly good condition.

I spoke with the owners for a while. They had moved to NM from Pennsylvania. They loved all the Route 66 nostalgia, and were working hard to keep a piece of it alive.

I was amazed at how many guests were from overseas, visiting the USA specifically to drive Route 66. They must see it as a piece of history that you can still experience. I met a group of nine Swiss police officers, riding Route 66 on rented Harleys for a magazine article back home. I also met three old guys from Australia who had bought a beautifully restored '65 T-Bird convertible in Tennessee. They were driving it to L.A. on Route 66, where they would ship it back to Australia. I also met two guys driving the old Studebaker Hawks in the photo below to a rally. One was the very rare Super Hawk with the factory Paxton supercharger.

Last edited by F6Dave; 07-26-2021 at 08:59 AM.