Bt-46
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bt-46

Bt-46

I've been running the BT-46 in front, reversed, with a Kumho Ecsta PA31 in 195/60R16 89V in back for several months and several thousand miles now and I have to say I'm really impressed with the improvement in handling over the OEM tires and even over my old Avons. The front tire inparticular made a huge improvement in how the bike handles on gravel roads because the wider contact patch and less steeply angled shoulders don't plow into thick gravel like the Avon and OEM did. I had worried the less steeply angled shoulders might run out of tread before I ran out of cornering clearance but that hasn't been the case. Even with the occasional peg dragging I still have 1/2" chicken strips on the edges of that front tire so, at least for me it has more than adequate cornering ability. All in all a great tire and the depth of rubber on it is comforting.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Hello Frye, thanks for sharing the info on the tires, and yes you confirmed my observation on the front tire not digging in due to the wider contact area.

Although I did not ride in gravel, my comparison was on a stretch of road with cuts in asphalt and concrete road surface where my old OEM tire would ride in the grove, and I had to force it out, the BT46 eliminated this getting into the grove so to speak.

IMHO there is no better combination of DDing than a BT-45/B-T46 mounted front and Radial CT rear. My experience was on the infamous pothole roads of NE Pa. which provided riding on numerous road surfaces with literally tons of anti-skid material come spring. I recall posting my experience with the BT-45 early on, as turning my F6B into a "Corner Carver" and after 50+K miles my view of the BT has not changed. If you want sure footed traction, Double Dark Side is the route to go.

Ride Safe Folks

bob109
    Last edited by bob109; 08-11-2021 at 09:49 AM.

I just ordered a bt46 from Dennis Kirk. I have 600 foot of loose stone driveway with 2 turns.
    This will be my first dc tire on the front.
    I am pleased to know about the handling in stone.
    Thanks
    ITS ALL GOOD

Just got my BT46 yesterday and man, it looks big and wide! I know it'll fit in there but its got to be close to the plastic fender.
    Anybody have a picture of their setup with this tire. Gonna be a week or so before I can get it mounted.
    ITS ALL GOOD

No picture, but rest assured that it fits well, has no issues, and carves the canyons well, the best front tire ever, have now 600+ miles on it.

I WOULD like to see a picture, if someone could post it. I've always been a proponent/user/fan of the F6B Darkside, but have never contemplated DD until this thread. My interest is piqued.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Will I take one tomorrow, and send it to you, not sure how to post it on this board, send me your email, but for those who sweat the clearance, the most narrow point, the front of the fender and the tire sidewall, you have 5/8 clearance on each side. The top is no issue.

The height is the same as the stock.
    Last edited by maxrider; 08-12-2021 at 09:00 PM. Reason: info

Check yer PM's Thanks!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Pics send Will.

Thanks for posting.