Pain between shoulder blades
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain between shoulder blades

Pain between shoulder blades

Hello all, I have a 2015 Deluxe. I believe it is the stock seat with a stock back rest (driver) that I added a spacer in to move it a bit forward as I'm short (5'5" with 29" inseam). I got the bike just about 2 months ago and have already put about 4,400 miles on her over the weekends.

When I first got her I was riding with ridding shoes on with thin soles, I noticed a bit of pain between my shoulder blades but the more I ride the more it's hurting, for days on end. I purchased some boots with a little thicker soles so I can foot the bike easier. I purchased risers after seeing some suggestions in here for them, but it already had some installed.

I tried searching in the forum, but couldn't find anything specific to upper back pain/pain between the shoulder blades.

My question is has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you fix it? I'm only 38 years old, this is my third bike, and my favorite so far and I'd love to do some long distance trips, but if going to my local mountains makes me hurt so bad I can't sleep I may have to trade her in.

Thank you in advance.

I had the same issue and installed the Kuryaken Risers and no more pain

,3C6A3A61-57A4-4546-8A4B-95A031374A54.jpg

Sorry to your wallet, but heli bars will cure your pain. May take some time to find that SWEET spot but you will know when you find it. They are also super solid no more bouncing bars after hitting potholes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by naga viper View Post
    Sorry to your wallet, but heli bars will cure your pain. May take some time to find that SWEET spot but you will know when you find it. They are also super solid no more bouncing bars after hitting potholes.
    Damn, those are a pretty penny, looks like I might be saving some money for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by naga viper View Post
    Also, I've never had the bouncing bars issue, there are risers already installed, maybe they cut this issue out?

When I first got my 13B the bars were spread way too far apart for me.
    I did get pain in my shoulder area sometimes. The risers stoped that.
    I have a 650 Burgman that is a joy to ride, but it hurts my shoulders some.
    The bars are too short and I have to bend forward a bit.
    Going to try risers on that one if the hoses and wiring will reach.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Are you too tense while riding maybe? Try relaxing and sitting straight up. I have a neck injury that haunts me but HeliBars worked for me. Very adjustable.
    2013 F6B in black of course

I get the same pain your describing and I'm 6'3". I was a swimmer in my younger years so I've got minor issues with my shoulders.

I add the ($30) BigBikeParts risers which helped but I still get the pain. There is another more expensive set ($80) from MLB that I've never tried. I don't think the more expensive MLBs, or the Kuryakyn, risers will change the angle that much and I haven't be willing to spend money ($900) for Helibars.

Here's what I do...Obviously, the cruise control helps a lot. Being able to let the right arm hang or putting my right hand on my right hip usually relieves the pain. The other stretches' I do while on a long ride are: 1. Very deliberately turning my head 90 degrees to the left and right so It touches each shoulder. 2. Focusing on pushing my elbows are far down as possible. 3. Lastly, and this seems to be counter intuitive, "shrugging" my shoulders up high around around my head for a minute or so.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    Are you too tense while riding maybe? Try relaxing and sitting straight up. I have a neck injury that haunts me but HeliBars worked for me. Very adjustable.
    I was going to suggest that as well to him DaWadd. It's a new bike for him, he may be unknowingly gripping the handlebars too tightly for long periods.

I normally get the pain between the shoulder blades myself in the late winter/early spring when I start riding often again. Pain seems to go away after a few months of riding; then I get pains elsewhere because of just plain old age.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

So if the physical adjustment is not in your reach, and or not desired, you should at least try the more prudent inexpensive options offered here on the board, which just about cover all known remedies known to mankind.

All the posters above have touched on the known fixes from multiple years of experience, one I would suggest is to reevaluate your grip constantly, think and act like you are playing the piano, sit upright, relaxed, and just have your fingers on the handlebars, you won't crash, no worries there.

Now kinda let your arms flop a bit, like doing the chicken dance movement, this will assure you that you are going to relax that arm on purpose, do this exercise as much as you can to start.

Once you start feeling better, you will do this routine less, because you become a more relaxed rider.

You will get rid of that extra exertion on the bar.

I'm going to use some other suggestions for you from my LD pals with their inputs

For that between the shoulder blades pinch, try slouching. Well known as the 'Sport-Touring Slouch' among distance riders on bikes like the FJR and ST1100/1300. Others find this a symptom of the bar sweep or rise being off for them. Play with the ergos if you can.

It is somewhat dependent on-bike position. Roll your hips back, shoulders forward, and relax instead of sitting up straight. Doesn't really work on an ADV bike or full Sportbike since the natural seating positions are in opposite directions of the neutral Sport-touring body position. But works great on a F6B.

Good luck, practice it, and you will get results.
    Last edited by maxrider; 08-25-2021 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spell check