Saddle Sore 1000 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saddle Sore 1000

Good luck
    Be safe

Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy the ride.
    BillMurray.jpg
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I did it! I now possess an Iron Butt :)

...but MAN am I WIPED out (mentally and physically). Still am recovering this morning.

I was going to have my wife take a pic but she was too groggy at 2am yesterday, so I just jumped on the bike and headed to the gas station. Starting odometer/receipt:

I wanted to ride as fast as I could to get as much daylight later for the return ride back. Made good time all of the way into Knoxville. Once I was in Knoxville, I just went to the closest gas station I saw, filled up and got a receipt, and immediately headed back:

Lot's of traffic into Knoxville of course and heading back on US 40 east but wasn't bad. I 81 north of course was getting jammed up with truckers, most were polite, a couple tried to kill me as usual. But that's expected.

Once I got past Harrisonburg it started to get dark and my mental and physical sharpness and abilities started to deteriorate. I was pulling off the interstate a little more often, to drink Gaterade in my back cooler I strapped down, and eat a handful of fruit chews. Also to stretch and walk around for a couple of minutes; the pain that always develops between my shoulder blades was raging. Was eating G.I. Candy but it wasn't helping much. No choice but to push on.

Coming into Martinsburg my mental sharpness and motorcycle handling abilities was really starting to concern me. I had slowed down a little more while running the interstate, but the truckers were really beating me up with the pressure waves from their rigs; which were hitting me as they passed. Even though the F6B is a heavy bike, it seemed that each truck passing me was having a greater instability effect with the motorcycle.

Not only that, it was dark and deer at night really wig me out. So I was also expecting them to materialize out of nowhere on the darkened stretches of the highway, that was mentally draining as well.

I finally crested South Mountain as I was approaching Frederick, and I stopped in Fredneck for my first real meal; a Snickers candy bar at Sheetz. That gave me energy for the home stretch into the Arundel Mills area. Closed the trip for the final documentation for the time stamp and odometer:

But I got home safe and sound, no negative incidents. Even had enough energy to unpack and put the bike in the shed to bed (a good soldier always takes care of his horse before he tends to himself). Going to give the bike a good wash today and change the oil. She deserves it:

In closing, I don't think I'm going to do something like this on a regular basis. It sort of kicked my butt. I have however, BT/DT
    Last edited by willtill; 09-30-2021 at 09:11 AM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Glad you made it back safely sir.

Ya, one time is enough for me. I also learned the trip meter only goes to 999. Glad you had a good ride.

NOPE!!!...I don't believe You!!! That last picture of the bike is to clean after a 1000+ miles of riding!!!

Congratulations! Glad you made it back safe and welcome to the club.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    NOPE!!!...I don't believe You!!! That last picture of the bike is to clean after a 1000+ miles of riding!!!

Congratulations! Glad you made it back safe and welcome to the club.
    Ha! Actually I took a pic of the bike the very next morning, expressly for showing the splattering. That Madstadt windshield and frontal/headlight areas were indeed splattered. The pic for some reason does not show it. Which was disappointing.

Here be a closeup:

Last edited by willtill; 10-01-2021 at 08:50 AM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

My bike wasn’t horribly dirty but I did go through a couple storms and it washed a few of the bugs off. Getting off topic…I left my gas cap on a pump in Utah and I’m wondering if anyone knows of a universal cap that will fit. 40 bucks for a cap seems steep.