Paint and plastics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint and plastics

Paint and plastics

Does anyone have the newer Honda and if so, how does the paint and plastic hold up? Every time I detail my B I can’t believe how crappy the paint and plastics are on this bike. The biggest disappointment for me besides having to remove 80% of it to get to anything.

My red 2013 would turn the rags pink. But the paint on my 2016 matte white is holding up very well. I've never had any issues with the plastic panels.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    My red 2013 would turn the rags pink. But the paint on my 2016 matte white is holding up very well. I've never had any issues with the plastic panels.
    I’ve got a 16 matte grey and I had a protective coating put on it but the paint seems to chip off easy. I’m super anal retentive but it literally looks like they shot 1 super thin coat and called it good.

That's interesting. I assumed you had one of the 2013 models with the 'soft' water based paint and no clear coat. I was very careful not to scratch my red 2013, and used the ridiculously expensive Liquid Glass to keep it looking good. My matte white 2016 still looks great, with only a few stone chips but no problems with the paint quality.

As for plastic quality, I've had 5 Honda motorcycles and the only problem has been 2 hairline cracks in the fairing of my 1999 Valkyrie Interstate. The Valkries were wonderful bikes but the Interstate seemed to be rushed to market. The fairing and trunk are prone to rattle, and the audio system is weak. However the wind protection is great and there is vastly more storage capacity than the F6B. And in it's day the Valkyrie easily outperformed any cruiser on the market.

That's interesting. I assumed you had one of the 2013 models with the 'soft' water based paint and no clear coat. I was very careful not to scratch my red 2013, and used the ridiculously expensive Liquid Glass to keep it looking good. My matte white 2016 still looks great, with only a few stone chips but no problems with the paint quality.

As for plastic quality, I've had 5 Honda motorcycles and the only problem has been 2 hairline cracks in the fairing of my 1999 Valkyrie Interstate. The Valkries were wonderful bikes but the Interstate seemed to be rushed to market. The fairing and trunk are prone to rattle, and the audio system is weak. However the wind protection is great and there is vastly more storage capacity than the F6B. And in it's day the Valkyrie easily outperformed any cruiser on the market.
    I’m on my second front fender and lower cowl due to tabs cracking off. I had the cowl shot with rhino liner type stuff and it holds up well. The plastics on the bike just seem soft and where I have chips in paint it looks super thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    I’m on my second front fender and lower cowl due to tabs cracking off. I had the cowl shot with rhino liner type stuff and it holds up well. The plastics on the bike just seem soft and where I have chips in paint it looks super thin.
    That's unbelievable. Did you get anything covered by Honda? Has anyone else reading this had those issues?

My 14 yellow F6B paint is shinny nice. When washing I have no yellow bleeding on the rag or in the bucket of water. My plastic is holding up well but she has less than 20k on her. I've replaced the seat and shield since I've owned her and we have a great relationship.

As I recall, there were lots of early reports of paint issues on these bikes. There were several threads here at one point, but I think many of earlier posts on the forum were lost to the aether at one point due to an issue with the site.

In 2013 and 2014, the black was super soft and scratched very easily, and I've read lots of folks complain of the 2013 red coming off on polishing cloths. Prior to buying my 2014 new, I knew of two black 2013s locally where the owners were quite unhappy with it, so I was wary of it. The folks at Honda of Russellville (Arkansas) agreed to blow mine apart and paint it for me (Honda Candy Red, a full Wing color) prior to me flying in to pick it up. I've been quite happy with that paint, but it's not perfect by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    As I recall, there were lots of early reports of paint issues on these bikes. There were several threads here at one point, but I think many of earlier posts on the forum were lost to the aether at one point due to an issue with the site.

In 2013 and 2014, the black was super soft and scratched very easily, and I've read lots of folks complain of the 2013 red coming off on polishing cloths. Prior to buying my 2014 new, I knew of two black 2013s locally where the owners were quite unhappy with it, so I was wary of it. The folks at Honda of Russellville (Arkansas) agreed to blow mine apart and paint it for me (Honda Candy Red, a full Wing color) prior to me flying in to pick it up. I've been quite happy with that paint, but it's not perfect by any means.
    What are the problems with their paint? Is it a paint quality problem, or a problem with their workmanship?

That's unbelievable. Did you get anything covered by Honda? Has anyone else reading this had those issues?
    They basically blew me off so I just handled it. There was a thread going on about the paint issues and I believe a few people had broke tabs in various ways.