Paint and plastics - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint and plastics

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    What are the problems with their paint? Is it a paint quality problem, or a problem with their workmanship?
    I truly believe it’s a combination of both sub par plastics and paint. I was checking out the BMWs and their product looks/feels superior. My 2006 Street Glide paint has held up way better than my Honda. It’s why I asked if Honda improved their quality on the new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    What are the problems with their paint? Is it a paint quality problem, or a problem with their workmanship?
    Nothing significant, sir. There is a bit more orange peel in spots than typical factory paint jobs, and there is one spot where the coverage appears a little thin. That said, it's tough as nails with only one tiny chip over the 7 years I've owned the bike, so as compared to the factory soft paint issues that others have reported, I'm quite happy. Given the chance, I'd do the same all over again. Apologies if I made it seem like I was unhappy with it.

Given that it's clear-coated, I suppose I could use rubbing compound to cut the orange peel, but it's never bothered me bad enough to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    As I recall, there were lots of early reports of paint issues on these bikes. There were several threads here at one point, but I think many of earlier posts on the forum were lost to the aether at one point due to an issue with the site.

In 2013 and 2014, the black was super soft and scratched very easily, and I've read lots of folks complain of the 2013 red coming off on polishing cloths. Prior to buying my 2014 new, I knew of two black 2013s locally where the owners were quite unhappy with it, so I was wary of it. The folks at Honda of Russellville (Arkansas) agreed to blow mine apart and paint it for me (Honda Candy Red, a full Wing color) prior to me flying in to pick it up. I've been quite happy with that paint, but it's not perfect by any means.
    I bought a 2013 black F6B new and yes the paint was very soft.
    I tried different waxes and I had great results with glare I used the Winners Circle Pro Kit it’s not cheap but it was money well spent.
    No more scratches or marks. It will last for years. I did the 4 step process two times in 7 years, maybe once I year I will wax it with glare polish
    Here’s the website and description for me it was wirth the money

https://www.glare.com/

NEW GLARE + Winners Circle Pro Kit - Special Pricing! Save $39.81, If Purchased Separately $134.80. All for $94.99 + LIMTIED TIME FREE SHIPPING USA ONLY!
    This kit includes one of each: The New GLARE+ Now with more Glassplexin more Protection. Contains GLARE Professional Polish,GLARE,Micro-Finish, GLARE Spider and GLARE Knock-Out Compound! This kit is the very best for new, and used Vehicles!!! Restores all painted surfaces. Great for Clear Coated Paints. UV Protection. Ultimate High Def. Gloss, and Shine! The very finest money can buy! Nothing like it. Beyond 22nd Century Technology!

My 2013 black has no clear coat. And yes it scratches easily.
    I had a body shop go over it and polish the scratches out.
    One washing later they were back.
    ITS ALL GOOD

You said you were super careful so I'm assuming you don't store outside, Ewreck?

I've had good luck using ducky matte on the paint and Meguires on all the plastics and everything looks pretty much new on my '16 matte silver.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    My 2013 black has no clear coat. And yes it scratches easily.
    I had a body shop go over it and polish the scratches out.
    One washing later they were back.
    You should try Glare it worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    You said you were super careful so I'm assuming you don't store outside, Ewreck?

I've had good luck using ducky matte on the paint and Meguires on all the plastics and everything looks pretty much new on my '16 matte silver.

Jason
    Bikes garaged with cover. I’m not complaining about fading or plastics turning color it’s all the small nicks/bumps and minor chipping that bugs me. I had a ceramic coating applied when I first purchased and also use Ducky for basic cleanup so as far as color, it’s fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    Bikes garaged with cover. I’m not complaining about fading or plastics turning color it’s all the small nicks/bumps and minor chipping that bugs me. I had a ceramic coating applied when I first purchased and also use Ducky for basic cleanup so as far as color, it’s fine.
    I gotcha, Ewreck. That would drive me nuts, too. Fwiw, I used color rite matching to paint the top case, and I really liked the matching. They sell a touch up pen, too. I haven't tried it, but if I get a chip,I might give it a shot.

Jason