Tire wear

Thread: Tire wear

Tire wear

So I recently picked up 2013 F6B. Both front a rear tires were very low, I aired them up to spec per manual, and they seem to have an odd mild vibration, especially in turns. As you can see, it's a no brainer.
    Question. Is this something that might wear off, should I drop pressure a bit, should I simply replace, Is it highly dangerous to ride as is? It seems fine, no vibrations at cruising speed etc, it's the corners or leaning back and forth that you can tell.
    Thanks for any and all advise.
    tire.JPG

Looks just like mine but the only vibrations are between 35 & 40 when coasting. Try another pound or 2 of psi and see what it feels like.

First, I don't have a vibration with my Bridgestone's and, like Seventwenty, my front looks the same as your picture.

Second, "I" go thru rear tires MUCH faster than the fronts. I'd suggest playing with the air pressure in the front. Adding more or even lowering it below 38 to see what changes. In other words sacrifice the front since it will probably last longer than the back.

Last, vibration in a turn could also be due to a suspension issue.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I get around 14,000 miles on my rear and 18,000 on my front, I run 41 lbs in the rear and 40 in the front no cupping problems. I have them balanced on a bubble balancer when I have them mounted. Running the Bridgestones, 84,000 miles on the bike and like the stones enough to stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerPJ View Post
    So I recently picked up 2013 F6B. Both front a rear tires were very low, I aired them up to spec per manual, and they seem to have an odd mild vibration, especially in turns. As you can see, it's a no brainer.
    Question. Is this something that might wear off, should I drop pressure a bit, should I simply replace, Is it highly dangerous to ride as is? It seems fine, no vibrations at cruising speed etc, it's the corners or leaning back and forth that you can tell.
    Thanks for any and all advise.
    tire.JPG
    The tire has not been compromised. I currently run 34psi in mine since Traxxion (who upgraded my front suspension a few years ago) recommended it.

Even saying that, that type of wear in a Bridgestone tire (or any harder center compound tire) will appear at any pressure that's run in it.

That wear you are seeing is normal, for a F6B that has more city/local miles (corner carving) than highway miles. The center of that tire has a harder compound for longevity of the tire, since they are primarily manufactured for a heavier motorcycle.

My Bridgestone will and has exhibited the same wear. It all goes away if you take long runs more than local on your bike.
    Last edited by willtill; 09-30-2021 at 11:50 AM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I guess I can say that it's not really a vibration, you just hear a hummmm slightly. Thanks for the feedback, I will play with tire pressure. I mostly ride 2 hrs a day in the country for pleasure. Modest speeds (most of the time ) My last bike, an older Venture I rode with Shinko tires, never this type of tread wear.

As others have said, on the OEM Bridgestones my fronts feather similarly, though typically not that pronounced.

On my bike, the noise/hum in turns comes from the rear. It starts about 1,000 miles into a new rear, and gets louder as it wears. If you look at the rear tire, the "blocks" end up being higher on one side of the sipe than the other (I forget if it's higher on the leading or trailing edge of the block). It almost sounds a bit like a knobby tire when leaned over, but is quiet in the straights. As quick as I replace the rear, it's dead silent in turns until the tire gets 1k on it.

My Bridgestones "sing" to me, each time I lean into a corner. My 6 is singing, "faster, faster!" It doesn't affect the handling or grip on the road. Ride on!

To clarify, I don’t have a vibration per se’, it’s the “Honda wobble”. Didn’t have it with the original stone but I switched to an e4 and have had it since. I’ll go back to a stone and see if it changes. I’ve got video of the wobble in the bars immediately after leaving the dealer with the new tire and returned to show them. They checked the head bearing, retorqued every thing, and told me I was supposed to keep my hands on the bars. It’s at least documented.