So what if?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what if?

So what if?

Say I keep adding miles at a 30K miles per year, in 10 yrs or maybe sooner my engine might be toast.

Hate to trade it in for the current model which I test rode and hated, so sticking with my old school 2015, what are my options?

Is there such thing as new crate engines(old stock oem) that fit the 2015f6b? and at what price?

Or do I have to go the rebuild route, any clue as to what this would run if possible?

I'm pretty sure replacement engines are still in production for our bikes from Honda, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in paying the price they'd want. There are lots of low-mileage bikes out there that folks buy and don't ride much. I'd humbly recommend looking for one of those garage queens when the time comes. Despite being low-mileage, the values of our bikes drop rather quickly, and the full bike will likely be cheaper than a replacement engine from Mother Honda.

Alternatively, entire engines can be sourced off Ebay from companies scrapping wrecked bikes for really affordable prices, BUT I'm not sure they're 100% reliable regarding existing mileage, etc, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Cheers!

It should be your mission to squeeze every bit of mileage possible from this great engine. Regular oil changes are key.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

These bikes can easily last for hundreds of thousands of miles. I still own a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate with 102,000 miles. The only thing I've ever fixed was a broken clutch cable. I also have a 1998 Valkyrie Tourer with 176,000 miles. It has needed a rear wheel bearing at 50K and clutch damper plate at 140K, which were common issues but easy fixes. But mine are low mileage examples. I met a rider at a VRCC rally who had 690,000 miles on his Valkyrie as of a few months ago.

Valkyries use the GL1500 engine that Honda introduced in the 1980s. I'd think our newer GL1800s could last even longer.

I know this is a different platform engine, but how about this.
    https://www.randakksblog.com/one-in-...n-mile-gl1000/
    I also saw in 2013 a 1800 that had 522000 miles
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Encouraging and sound advice giving here, but just of curiosity what would be a ballpark figure for a new OEM engine.

As the owner of a GL1500 approaching 200,000 miles I'll mention this: the engine may outlast other parts of the bike. Before the engine fails rubber and plastic parts may deteriorate, corrosion may appear in places, and various little parts may wear out. You'll find yourself replacing little stuff more and more often.

These are probably the most reliable motorcycles ever built. The VRCC still holds annual rallies and guys ride their Valks thousands of miles to attend. But eventually owners of very old, high mileage bikes seem to be proving a point rather than enjoying the ride.

You never know when something else may appear that grabs your attention. At Sturgis this year BMW introduced several new R18 models. They were so different that I really liked them. If I were in market I'd definitely give these a serious look. The Marshall Audio system was absolutely beyond belief.

Last edited by F6Dave; 10-07-2021 at 09:31 AM.

According to the parts fische, a bare block is $2,516, and each head is $803.

https://www.hondasportpartswarehouse...cylinder-block

Complete engines on ebay are running $1500-2000.

That said, I agree with others that you should have a long, long time before sourcing a replacement should be required...Unless you just want to have a spare lying around.
    Last edited by rdbonds; 10-07-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Duralube every other oil change will do more that anything else for your engine.
    Ive been using it in motorcycles since the early 90s
    ITS ALL GOOD

Thanks, rdbonds that is a steal for $5K to get a new engine figure another $1 K for misc, beats the heck of having to modify another bike any day in my book.

Okay that settled it for me, no more "what if", all good.