Trip to the U-P

Thread: Trip to the U-P

Trip to the U-P

So, I am pondering next summer's trip. I am thinking about riding up from the Gulf Coast to the UP, spend a few days up there, seeing stuff, then riding over to Blackwater Falls, WV, then hit some of the roads working back south. Last year I got a lot of good ideas. Anybody know those areas and have recommendations?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

If you get to the U.P., make a trip across the Mackinac Bridge. But just an hour south of the bridge, ride the "Tunnel of trees" near the west coastline of Michigan. Once your in the U.P., head to Copper Harbor. If you have some time, stop by Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Beautiful scenery on the south shore of Lake Superior. Copper Harbor is at the northern tip of a narrow peninsula. Plenty of motels nearby in Houghton, which is only a half hour south of Copper Harbor. And Houghton is a college town. Plenty of small town fun happens! Then ride southward towards Bessemer , and check out Copper Peak ski jump facility. They have summer tours, and an elevator that takes you to the top of the ski jump. On a clear day you can see for ever! Then, maybe head south east to Manitowoc, Wi, on lake Michigan, and take the Ferry across the lake. It lands in Ludington Michigan. If you travel thru southwest Ohio, try and ride the "Triple Nickel" hwy 555, which runs from Zanesville Ohio to Porterfield Ohio, which is only 5 miles from Parkersburg West Virginia. You will be smiling ear to ear if you like very curvy country roads! What ever route you ride, avoid the 4 lanes if you have the time!

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    If you get to the U.P., make a trip across the Mackinac Bridge. But just an hour south of the bridge, ride the "Tunnel of trees" near the west coastline of Michigan. Once your in the U.P., head to Copper Harbor. If you have some time, stop by Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Beautiful scenery on the south shore of Lake Superior. Copper Harbor is at the northern tip of a narrow peninsula. Plenty of motels nearby in Houghton, which is only a half hour south of Copper Harbor. And Houghton is a college town. Plenty of small town fun happens! Then ride southward towards Bessemer , and check out Copper Peak ski jump facility. They have summer tours, and an elevator that takes you to the top of the ski jump. On a clear day you can see for ever! Then, maybe head south east to Manitowoc, Wi, on lake Michigan, and take the Ferry across the lake. It lands in Ludington Michigan. If you travel thru southwest Ohio, try and ride the "Triple Nickel" hwy 555, which runs from Zanesville Ohio to Porterfield Ohio, which is only 5 miles from Parkersburg West Virginia. You will be smiling ear to ear if you like very curvy country roads! What ever route you ride, avoid the 4 lanes if you have the time!
    Awesome! Thanks. I have been using REVER to build routes (learned that from this forum two years ago) and now the waypoints load directly into the GW GPS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

jm21ddd15 nailed it! You also need to stop at Legg's Inn in Cross Village.
    Then schedule a few extra days and do the Circle Lake Superior trip, that's one of the best bike trips I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    jm21ddd15 nailed it! You also need to stop at Legg's Inn in Cross Village.
    Then schedule a few extra days and do the Circle Lake Superior trip, that's one of the best bike trips I've done.
    Hello 1911. Thanks for the endorsement !! Now that Canada is about to open again for recreational travel, I hope to do the Circle trip next summer. We should plan this if your around.

I'll cast a vote for the triple nickel. 555 in Ohio. Rode it last summer when the VRCC had it's Inzane meet in Athens.

I agree w/ my friend FLsixB. InZane 2021 was in Athens, OH and the Triple Nickel is a ride you don't want to miss. Then head east if you'd like to see the area around Morgantown, WV. InZane 2016 was held there and I enjoyed many roads in that area too. The "New River Gorge Bridge" is the world's longest steel-arch steel span bridge and nice site to see. Enjoy your trip.

Honestly, Here in northeastern Ohio, most of the roads are great. The further south you go the better.
    I spent most of last summer just riding the back roads at 20 to 30mph on my Burgman and had a great time.
    ITS ALL GOOD