Preping for winter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preping for winter

Preping for winter

Got the B out today about noon to wash it and put it in the trailer for the winter.
    So I cleaned the wind screen and the next thing ya know its 5pm. But the B isnt washed yet.
    But there's another 75 miles on the speedo??
    Must have seen a squirrel or something.
    I'll try it again the next nice day that comes along.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I don't prep for winter here in Marylandistan. Always keep the bike on a battery tender anyway. Maybe add a bottle of SeaFoam to it in January. There is usually some nice days to ride between bouts of snow, if the salt has been washed away. So the "B" always stays ready to ride year round.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I don't prep for winter here in Marylandistan. Always keep the bike on a battery tender anyway. Maybe add a bottle of SeaFoam to it in January. There is usually some nice days to ride between bouts of snow, if the salt has been washed away. So the "B" always stays ready to ride year round.
    +1 on the Sea Foam

You live in Fla and are prepping for winter?

Here in NC my prep is that I will start filling up with alcohol free gas since I won't ride as often.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgeteer View Post
    You live in Fla and are prepping for winter?
    Every gasoline engines I own gets treated to Sea Foam! Using it for well over 30 years, regardless of the location where I live, it provides peace of mind regarding different brands and grades of gas. Some examples....2005 Toyota 4 Runner 123k miles with OEM spark plugs in place upon sale with no issues! 2013 F6B 61k miles with OEM plugs still in place and no issues. Yamaha gas golf cart run daily, OEM plug in place and again no issues. I like to think this product has repeatedly provided some level of upper-head and piston top cleaning. I'm "hooked" on Sea Foam!

I'll run Seafoam a couple times a year as a cleaner, but prefer to use StaBil for the winter. I'm running stabil now, after each ride, I stop and top off the gas and add appropriate amount of StaBil. I like to keep my tank topped off for rust prevention. My previous bike (83 Venture) this worked for years. I do plug in charger once a month to top off. It is parked in an attached garage that never hard freezes, but can dip to 30.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Please don't use Stabil. It will leave red crystals in the bottom of your tank. It is just a surface tensioner for fuel, it will congeal in fuel eventually and if it gets into a carburetor, it causes issues.

Trust me. I know and have experienced it.

Use SeaFoam exclusively.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Please don't use Stabil. It will leave red crystals in the bottom of your tank. It is just a surface tensioner for fuel, it will congeal in fuel eventually and if it gets into a carburetor, it causes issues.

Trust me. I know and have experienced it.

Use SeaFoam exclusively.
    Hmm, I have never had a problem with StaBil in anything, and I use it in everything, including my ski boat. It does go bad, you should not use it after it's been opened for 2 years.
    So with Seafoam, is it 1oz per gal?
    Last edited by SpencerPJ; 10-29-2021 at 04:55 PM.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

I also recommend using the Seafoam. Great product.
    When I lived up north on Long Island NY, had to put up with traffic, no real touring because of the size of Long Island, and the winters. Rode all the time as long as the roads were clean and safe. Did the “Freeze Your Buns Run” to Montauk Point on New Years Day quite a few times. You know it’s cold when you ride past a Bank and the temperature says 14 degrees. But grew up there and owned a few businesses with my family, so stayed until I retired. Now live in the central southern area of North Carolina. Almost on the border of South Carolina. I’m below the snow line and have great country roads. Now I ride all winter as long as there is no ice. Even if it is just for an hour. It’s the best.
    Whenever there is a Nor’easter in New York, I send the kids a picture of me on the deck in shorts and tee shirt with an iced tea in my hand. 😀