A few battery questions

Thread: A few battery questions

A few battery questions

The F6B is getting ready to stow for a few months, and have a couple battery related questions.

Any problem using this maintainer 1 day every 2-3 weeks to keep battery topped off? I have it from a previous bike I had, but it had water filled battery.
    Yuasa yua1201000
    https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUA1201...87631589&psc=1

Is this the preferred way to connect, seems my maintainer will plug right in
    connect.JPG

Last question, bike went for long ride 2+ hr, two days ago. That little plug in, and a meter I have both show a resting charge at 12.4. Seems a bit low imo ? Does it seem as a battery in the spring is in order? Bike starts fine, every time (albeit, I've only owned it a few months)

Thanks for any input, Paul
    Last edited by SpencerPJ; 11-03-2021 at 04:46 PM.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerPJ View Post
    The F6B is getting ready to stow for a few months, and have a couple battery related questions.

Any problem using this maintainer 1 day every 2-3 weeks to keep battery topped off? I have it from a previous bike I had, but it had water filled battery.
    Yuasa yua1201000
    https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUA1201...87631589&psc=1

Is this the preferred way to connect, seems my maintainer will plug right in
    connect.JPG

Last question, bike went for long ride 2+ hr, two days ago. That little plug in, and a meter I have both show a resting charge at 12.4. Seems a bit low imo ? Does it seem as a battery in the spring is in order? Bike starts fine, every time (albeit, I've only owned it a few months)

Thanks for any input, Paul
    That YUASA battery maintainer can be used constantly on your battery. I have a couple of YUASA SmartShot's (basically the same technology) and my bikes are constantly plugged into them. My DR650's OEM YUASA battery went 9 years before I had to replace it. I just replaced my F6B's OEM YUASA AGM battery after 5 years, even though it was seemingly fine.

12.4 resting voltage is adequate. Your battery has probably sulphated a little. Leave the battery on that maintainer more often and your likely to see the resting voltage increase to 12.6 or so.

Lastly, I always wire pigtails directly to the battery for charging. Also is better if you're running a mini air compressor off your battery. Fuse the pigtail for 15 amps and it'll handle it.
    Last edited by willtill; 11-03-2021 at 05:47 PM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

You didn't say what year your bike was or if it was the original battery. Anyway, like Willtill said, it will be fine. and I also put a tender on my bikes, alternating from bike to bike every few weeks. However, it ain't snowed here yet in northern Wisconsin, and no salt on the roads, so it's still riding season. Just add a couple more layers of clothing. Tommoro might make 50 degrees, that's good for a couple hundred miles!