Unusual Honda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Honda

Unusual Honda

You don't see many of these still on the road. Come to think of it, they were rare even when Honda was producing them!

I have a guy I ride with that has an unmolested 750 that he shows at antique bike shows. I want to say he has a smaller cc one also.

I should have mentioned this is the very rare Hondamatic version, only made for 2 years as I recall. The emblem might not be easy to see especially if you're viewing on a phone.
    Last edited by F6Dave; 11-08-2021 at 02:59 PM.

ANY Honda 750 back in the day turns me on. Loved the CB750. Thought that was the coolest motorcycle ever!

A good example:

I also liked the CB360T. So aesthetically balanced back then.... I ALMOST got one

Last edited by willtill; 11-08-2021 at 05:34 PM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    ANY Honda 750 back in the day turns me on. Loved the CB750. Thought that was the coolest motorcycle ever!

A good example:

I also liked the CB360T. So aesthetically balanced back then.... I ALMOST got one

I have a friend with a beautifully rebuilt 750, she is such a beauty.

They do make me feel nostalgic. Thanks for posting the pics.

I had a friend who owned a CB360 back in the 1970s. I rode it a few times. It was a nice bike but at highway speeds vibration was irritating. At the time I owned a KZ900 which was one of the nicest bikes of that era. Not to mention fast. So I wasn't very impressed with my friend's Honda.

Then a few decades later another friend bought a used CB750 from the early 1970s. I had a Valkyrie at the time which was an awesome bike. But I was surprised at how refined that old CB750 was. I immediately understood how it revolutionized the motorcycle world when it hit the market in 1969.

The green Hondamatic I saw the other day and posted here was quite unusual. It only had a two speed transmission, but also had an automotive style torque converter and no clutch. Honda also detuned the engine for better low end power. It lost 2 seconds in the quarter mile to the 5 speed. It was apparently nice to ride but slow and never sold well.
    Last edited by F6Dave; 11-08-2021 at 10:28 PM.

I had a Hondamatic for a summer. I traded a Suzuki 175 dirt bike for it. The lady that owned it wanted to get rid of it because it had a leaking cylinder gasket. I replaced the head and cylinder gaskets and put new rings in it and got it back on the road. It was the only street bike I had at the time but it was slow. Just judging by my 'seat of the pants" dyno the 550K I used to have was faster. I don't miss the Hondamatic in the least but sure wish I still had that 550K.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    I don't miss the Hondamatic in the least but sure wish I still had that 550K.
    The 550 would be my choice too. Honda made some really nice small to mid sized fours in those days. Remember the CB400F with the beautiful 4 into 1 exhaust system? That may have been the prettiest four ever made.

For those who might not be as familiar with these, here's a youtube video I stumbled across on them some time ago. Nice little overview including a quick parking lot ride on one. Great looking little bike. Those lines on the tank are very pleasing (at least to me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-IB-4IeFFg