Summer Trip to the UP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Trip to the UP

Summer Trip to the UP

So, the past couple of years, I've asked the group here about some possible riding and visiting ideas as I planned my trips. I think this summer, near the beginning of July, I am going to ride up into the UP of Michigan, stay up there a week, or so, then work my way back through WV/KY/TN. Do any of you have any great places you liked in the UP?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

There is a bakery on the western part of the Copper Harbor peninsula ran by some Christian Brothers they got the best cookies in the world.
    All the roads are great and Lake Superior has some great views.
    But a week up there sounds like too much time.

I agree with JackB that a week in the UP is a bit much. there are things to see, Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mts., Copper Harbor is a nice trip to the "top of the state", I've never traveled it but I hear that road H58 is a nice ride. You can visit the Soo Locks. As said, there are things to see & do, but not enough to warrant a week(IMHO). Coming back South across the "Mighty Mac" is an adventure in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    There is a bakery on the western part of the Copper Harbor peninsula ran by some Christian Brothers they got the best cookies in the world.
    All the roads are great and Lake Superior has some great views.
    But a week up there sounds like too much time.
    Could be too long. I am just putting out feelers and research now. I have family in SE Michigan, so I'll stop by and see them. I will check out the bakery. Fat boy loves to eat!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetoc View Post
    Could be too long. I am just putting out feelers and research now. I have family in SE Michigan, so I'll stop by and see them. I will check out the bakery. Fat boy loves to eat!
    Here’s the bakery “The Jampot”
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bake...E,lf:1,lf_ui:9

Awesome! Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    ......Coming back South across the "Mighty Mac" is an adventure in itself.
    I can second this. (I used to live on the UP about 300 years ago) Actually....either direction on the Bridge can be an adventure. Most especially on a bike as much of the road surface is of the see-through grating variety that can be difficult for some people to navigate on two wheels. Weather can be an issue as well. However, as you're planning a summer crossing, you should be OK. If you should cross on a blustery day (and there are often many on the Great Lakes).....go SLOOOW.

Not sure that I'd go along with a week being too much. It depends upon why you're there. If you're looking for night life (other than the wildlife sort) or large cities or towns.....then yes, you'll be disappointed and bored. However, if you're seeking to get away from people and camp in the woods, do some fishing, etc.....then you may never want to leave. (I didn't)

If you want some touristy sorts of things that include other people...Mackinaw City is worth the time (still no nightlife though....more of an old-school resort) If you've seen the Christopher Reeve/Jane Seymour movie 'Somewhere In Time', it was filmed there. (or much of it anyway)

As with all things...the UP is solely what you make of it. It's one of the last unspoiled areas left in this country. And that won't last much longer. 'Leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures.'

.....sT
    Last edited by SimonTemplar; 02-21-2022 at 02:59 AM.
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

I did the Mackinaw last June. Of course the right lane was under construction, apparently it always is under construction. Be sure to take a look down through the grate as you travel along! the grate 'disappears' at 45mph.

Due to road construction I wasn't able to do the Tunnel of Trees, but I hear it is not to be missed.

The tunnel of trees is definitely not to be missed. great ride through it.

Simon Templar, I am more interested in the nature and photography opportunities. Just saw some of the pics up near Picture Rock Lake Shore and Miners Castle. I will mostly camp up there (it is cheaper than hotels). It looks gorgeous up there. Thanks for the input, Senior!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B