Rear ended on my Valkyrie

Thread: Rear ended on my Valkyrie

Rear ended on my Valkyrie

Glad I have the B because some a-hole rear ended my Valkyrie while I was sitting at a red light. Drove me into the street and knocked me down. FHP estimated she was going 30mph.

97 dam 2.jpg 97 dam 3.jpg

Hit me on the right back surprised how little damage she did. Tore of the right bag and rear lights and the helmet lock I had on the back. Did not touch the exhaust, final drive. Did F up the rear fender. Not sure about the bag on the other side because the one piece brackets that hold both bags was pushed out of whack.

They tried to offer me $3500 to total the bike. I am negotiating, I sent them multiple Valks on sale on Cycle trader with many more miles than mine for 6 to 8K. I also told them once we reach a deal I want the bike back. The said I could have it for $500. There is no damage to the exhaust or the final drive. I will have to look at the frame but I think most of the damages is the bags and their mounting system They actually are paying to have the bike brought to me, gets them out of paying storage. I also think once I have it I can negotiate a better deal or than can come and pick it up.

The worse thing is the lady who hit me has the same insurance, Progressive. So they are negotiating with in their company.

I am pissed. I look for a long time for a older Valk to go with the six, I found this one last October. I had it for 7 months and some idiot was not paying attention.
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

Sure am glad you are ok. I had a 99 Interstate and I know those hard bags aren't cheap. Good luck with the insurance co.

You didn't mention any injuries and I hope that's the case. Glad you're alright if so.

Jason

Glad you're okay, what happened was you interrupted her texting by stopping.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Valkmc, I echo the sentiments posted by the others above. I think I spend at least 40% of my time watching my rear view mirrors at a traffic stop; at least until I have another vehicle stop behind me. I hope insurance does settle well with you and makes you whole.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have changed my route before to avoid a left turn in a bad traffic situation. At first I thought I was being a chicken sh*t but on second thought I see it as being experienced and knowing my limitations. Being hit from behind has always given me the willys.

The bike part of the claim is finished. I talked them into $6500 and the bike back, with no salvage title. I had the time to go over her good and the damage is just the bags and their hardware, the bottom portion of the rear fender, rear signal lights, and license plate holder. The exhaust has one small dent (1/4 size of a dime) located right on the very back edge of the pipe.

I have to decide what to do with it now. Replace the rear lights and fender and turn it into a standard? I have the 6 if I need bags. No hurry on putting it back together!

It was worth it to search 1997 Tourers for sale and send a picture of the ads to the adjuster. That 4k (their original value estimate) went up to 7k and $500 to buy it back. I had to sign a release of liability for the bike damage.
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

Sounds like you made out well with the claim!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

You did your homework and got rewarded for it, excellent!