Into the Hellhole, Belly of the Beast, tomorrow - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Into the Hellhole, Belly of the Beast, tomorrow

Good job to have done! Just picked up my 4th air filter for my F6. Not a hard job, just take the time to mark every bolt and screw, so no leftovers. One thing I did, was to "clip" the little piece of plastic, which locks together, the multi electronic plug, near and under the ignition area. Now it's easy to get that connecter apart. Was a real P.I.t.A. the 1st time, trying to get my hands in that tight spot. Big Bird has a good air filter change video on U tube.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Good job to have done! Just picked up my 4th air filter for my F6. Not a hard job, just take the time to mark every bolt and screw, so no leftovers. One thing I did, was to "clip" the little piece of plastic, which locks together, the multi electronic plug, near and under the ignition area. Now it's easy to get that connecter apart. Was a real P.I.t.A. the 1st time, trying to get my hands in that tight spot. Big Bird has a good air filter change video on U tube.
    Thanks jm, when you say clip did you cut it out because it seems pretty snug even b4 it snaps. That clip is hell sent for me and my fat fingers
    Last edited by taxfree4; 04-21-2022 at 01:48 AM.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Woohoo! You're halfway there!

The filter looks like it served well. It's time.
    Its' time had definitely come, I.gave it a proper burial, I placed it in the K&N box before dumping it.

Congrats on having it all done! Woohoo!

My favorite quote from the cam sensor video: "And I thought the AIR FILTER, was a pain in the ass"

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Thanks jm, when you say clip did you cut it out because it seems pretty snug even b4 it snaps. That clip is hell sent for me and my fat fingers
    correct. That clip is not needed to hold the connecters together. Sure makes the process easier without the clip.

Mike, you'll definitely feel the bike breathing better with that new filter. Why did you go with the K&N though, that's the washable. reusable filter? Did you have to pre-treat it with the K&N air filter oil?

Getting to that air filter can be a PITA. IIRC, my biggest problem that I had was with the two connectors that attached to the control unit that sits right over the top cover of that air filter housing (item 24 below). For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to pop off one of the connectors,, so I had to tie that control unit box back as best as I could, so I could remove the air filter cover.

In a month or so, I'm changing out my coolant, replacing my rear brake pads (and possible the fronts) and flushing the brake fluid system and clutch, as well as draining and refilling my final drive. I'll do my air filter next year.
    Last edited by willtill; 04-21-2022 at 05:42 AM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Mike, you'll definitely feel the bike breathing better with that new filter. Why did you go with the K&N though, that's the washable. reusable filter? Did you have to pre-treat it with the K&N air filter oil?

Getting to that air filter can be a PITA. IIRC, my biggest problem that I had was with the two connectors that attached to the control unit that sits right over the top cover of that air filter housing (item 24 below). For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to pop off one of the connectors,, so I had to tie that control unit box back as best as I could, so I could remove the air filter cover.

In a month or so, I'm changing out my coolant, replacing my rear brake pads (and possible the fronts) and flushing the brake fluid system and clutch, as well as draining and refilling my final drive. I'll do my air filter next year.
    I used the K&N on the 2013 and was very satisfied with it. It comes pre-oiled. I won't reuse it first because they say they did it to reduce landfill and that PC bullshit is just that, second, if I'm going to do all that work, doing open heart surgery, to get to it, for $55 I'd rather have a brand new one every time. You can see an immediate difference in the construction between the OEM and the K&N. Also, no need for the gasket with the K&N it's built into the mold. So between the Torq Loopz and the filter she should be breathing easy, more air more fuel, etc. K&N says 50% more air, probably over exaggerating but even if it's 25-30% ot's definitely worth the price of the filter. Will, you're talking about that rectangular box on the port side of the filter housing, correct? If that's it there is a rubber band in between those connectors that clips on the bottom that holds the whole unit in place. Once you unhook the band you can unseat the whole unit and it falls away down to the radio/aux control unit, if that's the one you're talking about. I call this job "Revenge of Hiroshima" and the Crank Sensor Control "Revenge of Nagasaki"
    Last edited by taxfree4; 04-21-2022 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    correct. That clip is not needed to hold the connecters together. Sure makes the process easier without the clip.
    I'll do that before the next air filter change, if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Congrats on having it all done! Woohoo!

My favorite quote from the cam sensor video: "And I thought the AIR FILTER, was a pain in the ass"
    I would have been much more "colorful" if I hadn't removed that coil pack, my hand would have never gotten in there and where do you get a midget mechanic on short notice, no pun intended.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taxfree4; 04-21-2022 at 08:04 AM.