Into the Hellhole, Belly of the Beast, tomorrow - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Into the Hellhole, Belly of the Beast, tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    F6Dave - Unless one buys a monitor that has an electronic switch to tell when it "trips", I suspect it would be difficult to visually check the condition of the monitor, given where the filter is. My old 6.0 Ford had the one with a switch, but would involve making a simple circuit to monitor it.

SpencerPJ - The intake horns go just under the fork shield. I've attached a photo of mine when I had it apart last. The horns are loose, since I had the cover off for the filter, but you can see where they go.

By the way, tax4free...if you've had any codes for the cam sensor or hard to start (spins over but does not fire, whether a code present or not), filter changes are a great time to change that camshaft position sensor, which is somewhat prone to failure on the GL1800s. I had a few of those instances, and replaced mine proactively the last time I did a filter change. Good luck!

Attachment 8373Attachment 8373
    Thank you rd, will do
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Oh, and BTW, SpencerPJ, that photo shows the old filter condition, for reference. That one was in use just under 10K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    F6Dave - Unless one buys a monitor that has an electronic switch to tell when it "trips", I suspect it would be difficult to visually check the condition of the monitor, given where the filter is. My old 6.0 Ford had the one with a switch, but would involve making a simple circuit to monitor it.

SpencerPJ - The intake horns go just under the fork shield. I've attached a photo of mine when I had it apart last. The horns are loose, since I had the cover off for the filter, but you can see where they go.

By the way, tax4free...if you've had any codes for the cam sensor or hard to start (spins over but does not fire, whether a code present or not), filter changes are a great time to change that camshaft position sensor, which is somewhat prone to failure on the GL1800s. I had a few of those instances, and replaced mine proactively the last time I did a filter change. Good luck!

Attachment 8373Attachment 8373
    rd, do you have a link for the camshaft position sensor, I dont know why I am having a hard time.

Here is a link to the write-up I did when I replaced my Camshaft Position Sensor
    http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1...or-Replacement

The only hard part is accessing/removing the disconnect (red plug), expect full use of vocabulary on this step

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    Here is a link to the write-up I did when I replaced my Camshaft Position Sensor

The only hard part is accessing/removing the disconnect (red plug), expect full use of vocabulary on this step
    I will definitely use that info Willl, do you have a link to buy the sensor, I dont know why I'm having a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post

Is this it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

taxfree4 - Yep that is the one. You'll also need 11524-MCA-010, which is the gasket for the front cover.

Willl's write-up is excellent, btw. He's right...getting to the plug is a pain if you're doing it all from the front, BUT if you're already doing the air filter, the plug is right there and easy to get to.

Some folks doing it as-needed (i.e. a roadside fix) have reported just cutting the wires and crimping or soldering versus using the factory plug.

Into the Hellhole and back

https://youtube.com/shorts/Q8HTI0D1tr4?feature=share

Next, Crank position sensor

Woohoo! You're halfway there!

The filter looks like it served well. It's time.

Crankshaft Position Sensor is done, did that and the air filter today, 9 hours, only because I had to wait for UPS to deliver the parts.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KlFEcXTyGO8?feature=share