Stutters when down shifting to break - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stutters when down shifting to break

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    As I read it, the OP is saying the problem is when he "Engine Brakes" with the transmission in 3rd gear. Wouldn't an ignition problem, like fouled plugs or bad wires, show up when you're accelerating??? I would think it's an ECM or sensor problem.
    That's exactly what I was trying to explain, it hasn't happened when cold, or from a take off. I even tried to recreate the issue yesterday by down shifting into third and coasting like that many times and it wouldn't do it again.

Interesting..and only in 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Interesting..and only in 3rd?
    Yep, it's weird.

I've been trying my best to recreate the issue, took most of yesterday off work, did an oil change and final drive oil change, then road a good 100+ miles constantly trying to get it to do it again. It will not, I'll chock this one up to the motorcycle gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternalydamd View Post
    I've been trying my best to recreate the issue, took most of yesterday off work, did an oil change and final drive oil change, then road a good 100+ miles constantly trying to get it to do it again. It will not, I'll chock this one up to the motorcycle gremlins.
    I was hesitant to post this; I was thinking that it was your aged oil and your clutch plates were sticking a bit, when you were decelerating/downshifting.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I was hesitant to post this; I was thinking that it was your aged oil and your clutch plates were sticking a bit, when you were decelerating/downshifting.
    It might have been that, oil was about 7k miles old, and those had been hard miles.

Oil with 7000 miles is most likely just as good, done some Blackstone lab samples in the past with 10K miles, and bikes were driving hard and had excellent results.

The phobia most have(including me) is that for the sake of erring on the potential wrong side, and ease of operation, every 5K number, I change it.

Knowing that if I failed to replace at 5K I have plenty miles of reserve miles left

But good that you have resolved the potential gremlin.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrider View Post
    The phobia most have(including me) is that for the sake of erring on the potential wrong side, and ease of operation, every 5K number, I change it. Knowing that if I failed to replace at 5K I have plenty miles of reserve miles left
    Not to hijack the thread...but...I change oil at 5000 just because it's easy to track on the odometer. Now, for a real hijack, what KIND of oil is best to "prevent" this type of problem.

Glad it seems fixed.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I just do not believe it is the oil, otherwise, it would be most likely a consistent problem, and I do not think the oil can differentiate between gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternalydamd View Post
    It might have been that, oil was about 7k miles old, and those had been hard miles.
    Have you put the bike through its paces since the oil change? Any evidence of stuttering during downshifting at the present?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537