Has anyone used Seafoam - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used Seafoam

SeaFoam is the premier elixir of fuel treatments. I highly, highly recommend it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    SeaFoam is the premier elixir of fuel treatments. I highly, highly recommend it.
    Have you ever used it right before an oil change, as in the video, to get that muck out.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Nope. I've only used it for gas stabilization and fuel system cleaning. Most commonly used oils these days have detergents in them, so they keep your engine innards pretty clean.

Racing oils on the other hand do not.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

You are asking for trouble using that on the clutch plates. As a fuel stabilizer it is great.Good luck.
    Last edited by DaWadd; 04-14-2022 at 08:11 AM.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Seafoam contains mineral oil, naphtha, and isopropyl alcohol. I don't think I'll be adding that to my oil.

As for fuel, I used to have problems with ethanol absorbing water in the carb bowls and tanks of engines that sat around for a while. Now I'm lucky to have ethanol free gas available a mile from my place, so I run that in all my bikes and mowers. If I ever need a fuel system cleaner I use Techron.

My companies mechanics use SeaFoam on all the fleet cars and trucks right before preforming an oil change. Their recommendation to me was to add an ounce or two to the oil, then ride just long enough and fast enough to go through all the gears. Enough to get cleaner around to all the parts in a warm engine. Then to drain the oil and change. (Also, I drain for several hours. With the drain plug OUT, I get on the bike ever so often and shake it side to side and bounce on the springs to get another 1/2 cup of oil out.)

Someone here on the site posted that adding SeaFoam was a waste of money since the cleaner isn't there long enough to do anything AND a good oil already has additives that clean the engine. I stopped using it in the motor but I did just buy my "once yearly" bottle of SeaFoam/Berrymans/(Fill in the Blank Additive) and added half to the F6B at fill up and the rest to my Ford Pickup.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

It would be interesting to run an oil analysis before and after using the stuff to see if it makes any difference. Otherwise it's just speculation.

I'm planning on doing something similar. I've been using Bosch oil filters on my F6B, but they've become difficult to find around here. So at my last change I tried a Walmart Super Tech filter. I had the oil analyzed and will do the same at the next change. If the results are similar I'll stick with the much less expensive Super Tech filters. These get good reviews and are apparently made by Champion, who also makes Mobil 1 filters.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    It would be interesting to run an oil analysis before and after using the stuff to see if it makes any difference. Otherwise it's just speculation.

I'm planning on doing something similar. I've been using Bosch oil filters on my F6B, but they've become difficult to find around here. So at my last change I tried a Walmart Super Tech filter. I had the oil analyzed and will do the same at the next change. If the results are similar I'll stick with the much less expensive Super Tech filters. These get good reviews and are apparently made by Champion, who also makes Mobil 1 filters.
    I'm still using the Honda OEM filters on mine. They sure have gotten pricey though; they're like $14.95 on Wingstuff.com

i did use Rotella on my last oil change though. I usually use the Honda synthetic.
    Last edited by willtill; 04-14-2022 at 09:54 AM.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Seafoam does not have the correct cleaners to be used as an oil flush just before an oil change.
    Just watched a few videos on the subject. It didnt hurt anything but it didnt work at all.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    To be clear, I don't see any concern with using it for fuel treatment as others have suggested though.
    Thanks again for the input
    Equitare solum equitare amplius