Air cleaner opinion - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Air cleaner opinion

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    That looks better than mine! I changed it last week at 47,040 miles. I have a half mile of dusty unpaved roads between my house and civilization, so that doesn't help.

As bad as it looks, you can see there's much cleaner media deeper in the pleats. Apparently, the sticky coating Honda uses lets the ridges work like a pre-filter, which may be why their filters can last so long. I've read that the OEM filters can easily last 40K to 50K miles, and a dealer told me he'd seen owners push them far past that with no ill effects.

I rode several hundred miles after the change, and there's no noticeable change in performance or fuel mileage. So the engine was still getting all the air it needed, which means I won't be doing this chore again for at least another 45,000 miles.

Each to his own. But word of advice, don't believe everything you read. Some people say they can stretch an oil change out to 15K. I wouldn't risk that, or ride with a n air filter that looked like the one you displayed. Just my opinion. Ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Each to his own. But word of advice, don't believe everything you read. Some people say they can stretch an oil change out to 15K. I wouldn't risk that, or ride with a n air filter that looked like the one you displayed. Just my opinion. Ride safe!
    I agree, and I'm pretty cautious because there's plenty of misinformation out there. So I research multiple sources before making any significant change. I also have my oil analyzed frequently and recently did so to make sure a change in filter brand caused no problems. While changing the filter I carefully inspected the inside of my airbox and it was spotless. And as I mentioned, neither mileage nor performance changed with the new filter, which indicates the old filter was still providing all the air the engine needed.

In addition to my F6B I also have 2 Valkyries that I've ridden over 280,000 miles. So I've changed a lot of air filters! The Valk's filter is similar in size and design. When new, I replaced those filters at 12,000 miles, as Honda recommends. They always looked pristine like the photo Willtill posted. So I did some research and found that some of Honda's recommendations are well outside of industry norms. Honda calls for a plug change at 16,000, but in modern engines spark plugs last far longer than that. The P-OAT coolant our bikes use is rated for 5 years/150,000 miles, but Honda says to change it at 24,000. And while automotive air filters typically last for 30,000 miles or more, Honda recommends replacement at 12,000, even though GL1800 filters are at least as large per liter of displacement. Other than the 8K oil change, some of Honda's service intervals appear to be carried over from older models without being updated to reflect current technology.