Air cleaner opinion
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Air cleaner opinion

Air cleaner opinion

With great advise, I ran my digital scope into my air cleaner and snapped some pics. I bought my 2013 F6B last fall with little records (none) accept an seemingly honest guy that said a Dealer did all the maintenance. Here are some pictures of my air filter, the bike almost has 25k miles. Do you think it has been done previously? Looks decent imo, what mileage do you suspect I should strive for? I live in the midwest, I ride in the afternoons in the country and southern hills, not a dirty environment at all.

25k miles.JPGIMG_0019.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0017.JPG
    Last edited by SpencerPJ; 04-21-2022 at 03:31 PM.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Looks like it needs changing, even if it was done. Mileage maintenance is okay but every bike is subject to different environments. Pain in the azz to do but worth it, IMHO.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

I got 80k on my 2015, done 4 air filter changes. Mine never looked that dirty. Hate to tell you, but you need to change that filter. It's not hard, just takes time.

+1. That one has served you (and the PO) well...time to retire it. The task isn't THAT bad...it just takes time.

Thanks everyone, I'll buy one and add it to my list to do. I want to replace all fluids etc first.
    2013 F6B 1800B

Which Filter to Use?

http://https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

If you're considering switching to a K&N, you might want to read the above test.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    http://https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

If you're considering switching to a K&N, you might want to read the above test.
    I usually stick with OEM stuff.
    2013 F6B 1800B

I agree that anything "above" OEM paper filters is overkill and more expensive...But I did the K&N because It simplifies the process for me.

I don't have to order a filter when it's time to clean my K&N. I've got the kit to clean and refresh the K&N whenever it's time and the cost of the K&N and Kit isn't that much more over the life of the bike.

Also, others have said the K&N didn't fit correctly around the edges of the gasket. I'd say my K&N is difficult because it's just a "smidge" too big, so It fits VERY tightly sealed with all the bolts on the cover.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

As far as this "test" goes I'd be leary. First it was performed on a filters for a diesel V8 truck engine, second, even they admit in the article "As Arlen learned in attempting his own tests, there are many variables that can adversely affect filter test results. Third, "Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled" which doesn't happen in the real world. Fourth, "A small temperature change or a small change in humidity can cause the mass of a paper filter to change by several grams." In the end you can have test results tailored to whatever outcome you want if you control the input. When these filters are compared on F6B's or Goldwings, in real life situations, then maybe I'll even consider it but this particular study holds no water.
    Last edited by taxfree4; 04-22-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    As far as this "test" goes I'd be leary. First it was performed on a filters for a diesel V8 truck engine, second, even they admit in the article "As Arlen learned in attempting his own tests, there are many variables that can adversely affect filter test results. Third, "Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled" which doesn't happen in the real world. Fourth, "A small temperature change or a small change in humidity can cause the mass of a paper filter to change by several grams." In the end you can have test results tailored to whatever outcome you want if you control the input. When these filters are compared on F6B's or Goldwings, in real life situations, then maybe I'll even consider it but this particular study holds no water.
    I'm sure that if we came up with the cash, we could have these tests performed on GW air filters. The guys getting these tests done were diesel guys and that may have been a good thing because diesel filters tend to be bigger and heavier which might have made their accuracy a bit easier to achieve. The author was very forward about how the tests were performed and the big variables that temp and humidity could introduce. It would be pretty impossible to do a real world test with any validity so they have to control the variables as much as they could to make their test have value.

Does anyone have any ideas to make their testing better and more applicable.

In my opinion, the big cost in air filters for us is the labor to change them. Filters are the cheapest insurance we can get for our toys. This article brings up a great point that if a supplier's filter is really better, why not pay for the independent test and use it in their advertising rather than just saying "mine is better"?
    I have K&N's in three of the seven bikes in my garage. This article is making me re-think that.

Now we can spend way too much time arguing this along with oil and tires. 😁😁😁