Repairs

Thread: Repairs

Repairs

I have a 2016 F6B Deluxe that I bought with 1,800 miles on it a few years ago. I was a longtime Harley rider and really got tired of fixing things year after year to get the bike on the road and during the riding season. On advice from my Uncle who was a lifelong Goldwing rider and said his only maintenance was oil changes, I started looking at Wings. I am not a luggage person and didn't like the full dresser Wing, so I found the F6B and fell in love. Love the bike, love the look and power, however, this bike has 11,600 miles on it and since the day I got it, the shifting is clunky and seems to always slip into neutral when I am at a stop sign or shifting from 1st to 2nd. This is troubling to me as when I am trying to pull out on a hill, I start to go and drift and realize, yet again, it has slipped into neutral. I have read about this as much as I can and have not really gotten any satisfaction on answers.

This season so far, at 8,200 miles, I am out and about and made a stop and get back on the bike and it cranks and won't start. Played with it and checked everything over and come to find through the code it is spitting out that my crank position sensor is bad. Wow, ok, so I had it flat bedded home for 400 bucks, order the new part and gasket and pull it apart and get that replaced and move on.

The other day I am riding and it was a chilly morning on my way to work, so I fired up the heated grips, which I have used maybe 15 times at most since I have had the bike and I thought, these are not getting that warm. Got to my destination and forgot about it and yesterday, again, it is another chilly morning, so I fire up the grips and remember that they didn't get that warm. I rode 25 minutes to work and the heated grips never got warm at all. This is now 11,600 miles I have on this "reliable" bike.

I don't like the shifting issue and the other things are not that major, but one would think that at 11,600 miles, a Honda would not be having these issues. So I am not a mechanic and bought this "reliable" new bike so I don't have to wrench, except general tire and oil type maintenance and here I am, having to try to find out why 11,600 mile old heated grips are not working.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Sorry also, this is in the wrong area.. My bad!

You have to shift it like you mean it without stomping on the shifter. About the heated grips, when you start the bike do the lights on the controller blink? The heated grip control can sense low battery voltage and will not work if the battery voltage is too low. If you turn on the ignition, turn on the grip control “then” hit the starter button the grip control will see low voltage and default to off. You should check continuity of the left grip, seems that one gets damaged the most. If one grip fails the circuit is broken and they don’t work. Lastly stop shifting it like a Harley. The motor is made to rev. To low rpm shifts and it will sound and operate like a John Deer.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 10-18-2023 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    You have to shift it like you mean it without stomping on the shifter. About the heated grips, when you start the bike do the lights on the controller blink? The heated grip control can sense low battery voltage and will not work if the battery voltage is too low. If you turn on the ignition, turn on the grip control “then” hit the starter button the grip control will see low voltage and default to off. You should check continuity of the left grip, seems that one gets damaged the most. If one grip fails the circuit is broken and they don’t work. Lastly stop shifting it like a Harley. The motor is made to rev. To low rpm shifts and it will sound and operate like a John Deer.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I would change oil to Honda GN4 (cheap on amazon). My 13 does not like synthetic one bit. I also feel your battery is causing grief. Take a look, if original I'd start there.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Thanks for the suggestions.. I will check the controller this afternoon to see if the lights blink. It is the original battery, so I will check to see how much voltage it is pumping out. I run a full synthetic oil in there and just bought oil to change for the end of season. I will grab a gallon of Honda oil and run that next season to see how it goes. I'll keep you posted on my findings with the grips.. Thanks!