How many F6B owners are racing fans? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many F6B owners are racing fans?

Great racing yesterday. F1, then Indy, followed by NASCAR. What a day.

This post got me to thinking about the first race I ever attended. In 1963 I was 10 years old, growing up on the outskirts of Trenton, NJ. We lived a mile from the Trenton Speedway, a one mile oval on the NJ state fairgrounds. That year three USAC Champ car races and one NASCAR race was held there, so it was common to walk outside on a Sunday and hear the cars. In September my dad was given two tickets to the Trenton 200, and asked if I'd like to go. Of course I did!

There were 26 cars in the field, and all but two were front engine 'roadsters', most with Offenhauser power. The exceptions were a pair of Lotus 29s with 4.2 liter Ford V8 power. These F1 based cars had just made their debut at the Indy 500. The drivers were Dan Gurney and Jim Clark.

Even at 10 I could tell something big was taking place. The Lotus-Fords would effortlessly pass the other cars in the turns. Before long they had lapped everyone except AJ Foyt. Even though both retired (for the same problem) it was obvious that this was the future of Indy car racing. Foyt won the race, but Clark went on to win Indy in 1965 and the old roadsters faded into history.

That's a memory to be proud of!

The next major race I attended was in 1984. It was the F1 race in Dallas. Not a great race with incredible July heat causing the track to crumble in places. And like any street race you were lucky to see two corners. However it was the 1,000+ HP turbo era, and the drivers included Nigel Mansell, Nicki Lauda, Keke Rosberg (winner), Alain Prost, and Ayrton Senna. So when I add Jim Clark and Michael Schumacher (who I saw in his last season) I've had the privilege of personally watching some of the greatest drivers ever.

There's nothing like motorbiking to a motobike race! Southwick, Unadilla, and High Point MX every year...

IMG_9996.jpg

IMG_9895.jpg

I've ridden to Indy Moto GP, VIR AMA, Road America(great food) Mid Ohio, Lima HM, Loisville HM,West Virginia HM all bike races. Drove to Brainerd AMA, Bristol NHRA, Hi Point MX, etc. Probably more just can't remember all of em. I'm not good walking all day any more so my race watching is on the tube now.

Nuts for MotoGP, WSBK, BSB. Have just subscribed to MotoAmerica also, and hope to attend at “The Ridge” in a couple weeks, a track I have ridden.
    No interest in F1 anymore, and don’t consider NASCAR racing.
    Last edited by DarkKnt; 06-01-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that considers NASCAR "not racing". Once the trendiness of it wore off, the tracks had to take out bleachers to compensate for the lack of interest.

F6Dave, u r right, it has become much safer. So safe that the biggest risk is a high-side or getting run over. But going off track into a gravel pit or soft barriers are great improvements for safety. One of the best rides one can plan with your friends is go to a pro (or even regional) road race at one of the many tracks in the US where AMA races are held. I raced at NHIS, Daytona, and Mid-Ohio. Watched races at other tracks too, but I recommend a planned ride to go see a motorcycle race near those who ride. In addition to several races based on displacement, they also have vintage races, and team endurance races.

Quote Originally Posted by Lcsix View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that considers NASCAR "not racing". Once the trendiness of it wore off, the tracks had to take out bleachers to compensate for the lack of interest.
    Not to say the guys aren't skilled, but you sure can't see it as they parade around for hours. Even F1 has become less of a spectator sport as the technology masks the drivers skill and it becomes more like watching chess. Even in MotoGP the absurd skill of the riders is becoming less apparent as the electronics control so much of the bikes performance. You want to watch crazy, 150mph bike racing on tight road courses? It's British SuperBike... 240hp, street based bikes with very limited electronics - tire smoking, side by side racing with great commentary and some real characters. Sign up for "Motorsport TV" and "Bennets British SuperBike". You'll enjoy it...