2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B

2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B

I just returned from a 5-day trip to Ocean City. Flew from ATL to BWI and I used "Riders-Share.com" and rented a 2021 Road Glide with only 2,400 miles on it. It was just as smooth as my F6B. I like the RG sound much better than the Honda even though the Honda has Cobra pipes and Torq Loopz. Hard to beat the V-Twin sound. Both bikes are very comfortable. Both had plenty of power off the line. Both handled quite well. In fact the bikes were surprisingly similar except for one area. The F6B has superior wind protection. The RG had significantly more wind noise around the legs, shoulders, neck, & head. I guess that is everywhere but the torso. My F6B does have the Madstad so that helps. But the amount of wind from under that shark-front end is noticeable. I would not have noticed this had I not owned an F6B, and this will matter in colder weather riding. Considering what I paid for my '13 F6B...I'd keep it over a new RG.

Also FWIW, I've used R-S to rent bikes a few times now, and I also rent out my F6B for $85/day. I just started and had two rentals that yielded me $700. That works for me.

084A8926-B362-4210-A449-086DE9C771F1.jpeg5D76379C-8A90-4ED9-96BD-706BEC6004FB.jpeg
    Last edited by glengarrygr; 06-29-2022 at 09:02 PM.

I traded my '13 Road Glide Custom, with 4400 miles on it, for a new '13 F6B because the heat generated by the 103 cu.in. motor was unbearable. I can't imagine how hot it gets now with the larger motor. I guess as long as you're moving you're okzy.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

The new Harley Milwaukee 8 motor throws off a lot less heat than previous motor. Water cooled heads and better exhaust scavenging

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    The new Harley Milwaukee 8 motor throws off a lot less heat than previous motor. Water cooled heads and better exhaust scavenging
    How much is a lot less, what is the temp diffetence. I'd like to see the temps when you're in traffic, which is usually daily for me. In order to cool the heads you have to keep the lowers on, which restricts airflow to the motor where if you took the lowest off, increasing the airflow, you would cool the engine without all the plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    Those water cooled heads were badly needed due to the massive heat generated from running a lean enough mixture to meet current emissions standards. I heard that the rear cylinder ran so hot that the NHTSA was investigating complaints about burns on the legs of passengers, and H-D compensated for the heat by deactivating the rear cylinder when idling.

The F6B's twin side radiator design handles heat better than any motorcycle I've owned. The way the heat exits on the sides keeps much of it off of your legs. It was a challenge for the stylists to work with those radiators. The fins don't look bad on GL1800s, but on the 1800 Valkyries the radiators gave the bike a strange appearance and surely didn't help it sell.

The Milwaukee 8 was a racing motor, never designed to deal with EPA restrictions, they'll never fix it.

In 2020, I added a new Road King to my garage. Has the Milwaukee 8 engine. Yes, she gets warm in the hotter weather, so, I just ride other bikes on hot days. Not a big deal to me. I have been pleased with the Harley so far, only has 7k miles, but absolutely no problems or leaks. Has the 6 speed transmission that I wish the F6B had. But if I am going riding for more than an afternoon, I always ride the F6B. Much better all around bike!

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    The Milwaukee 8 was a racing motor, never designed to deal with EPA restrictions, they'll never fix it.
    I don't read much Harley Davidson news. I'm often embarrassed when some guy tells me about his 'FXYZ Spring Tail' and I have no idea which model he's talking about! But 5 years ago when they released the Milwaukee 8 I read a long tech article about it and was very impressed.

It seems odd that H-D would develop such a refined engine, with a catalytic converter and available in 3 distinct variations, primarily for racing. And that they'd design it without considering emissions regulations. What the heck do they race those engines in? And how did they end up in all those cruisers?

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    The Milwaukee 8 is not and never was a racing motor. It is an evolution of the traditional Harley V-twin. The Twin Cam it replaces was a evolution from the Evo and so on all the way back to the Knucklehead. As a result of more efficient combustion and relocation of the catalytic converter the exhaust temps were lowered by 100 degrees.
    The last Harley motor with 4 valves per cylinder was the V-Rod, before that the only 8 valve motor Harley produced was the 1916 Model 17 racing motorcycle.
    Last edited by Az Wingrider; 07-08-2022 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I don't read much Harley Davidson news. I'm often embarrassed when some guy tells me about his 'FXYZ Spring Tail' and I have no idea which model he's talking about! But 5 years ago when they released the Milwaukee 8 I read a long tech article about it and was very impressed.

It seems odd that H-D would develop such a refined engine, with a catalytic converter and available in 3 distinct variations, primarily for racing. And that they'd design it without considering emissions regulations. What the heck do they race those engines in? And how did they end up in all those cruisers?
    Why would you be embarrassed? The Harley pirates are a cult of their own. No need for you to keep abreast of their models or features.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537