2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B

Thread: 2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't read much motorcycle news these days. Frankly it was more interesting in the 1970s and 1980s when exciting new bikes hit the market every year. I hadn't paid much attention to the Milwaukee 8 since it was introduced. But Az Wingrider's comments got me interested so I took a bit of a refresher course. I have to say the design is impressive. It might even be the engine that saves the company.

H-D had a real dilemma. Compliance with emissions regs had created serious driveability and heat issues. On a ride to Sturgis 15 years ago many Harley riders and especially passengers were complaining about the heat. Clearly upgrades were needed. But history and tradition is important to these owners, who like the look, sound, and (some of) the feel of the air cooled twins. So the upgrades had to be discrete.

I'd say they did a good job. 4 valve heads increased flow by 50%, but the pushrod valve train looks traditional and is maintenance free. Apparently the improved flow didn't just add HP, it also reduced heat. Moving the cat helped as well, and water cooled heads on the bigger bikes cool it even more. I'd heard that the radiators were hidden in the sidepods to keep the purists happy, but I haven't seen conformation of that. A counter balancer eliminated much of the brutal vibration, but intentionally kept some of the character. I get that. As much as I love my F6B and Valkyries, I have to admit they are ultra-refined and very car like. At times I wouldn't mind a bit more personality.

Well said F6Dave.