2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Those water cooled heads were badly needed due to the massive heat generated from running a lean enough mixture to meet current emissions standards. I heard that the rear cylinder ran so hot that the NHTSA was investigating complaints about burns on the legs of passengers, and H-D compensated for the heat by deactivating the rear cylinder when idling.

The F6B's twin side radiator design handles heat better than any motorcycle I've owned. The way the heat exits on the sides keeps much of it off of your legs. It was a challenge for the stylists to work with those radiators. The fins don't look bad on GL1800s, but on the 1800 Valkyries the radiators gave the bike a strange appearance and surely didn't help it sell.

You could well be right, but aesthetics are at least somewhat subjective, and I love the look of the newer valks, especially from the seat. It's the ergos I could never warm to.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    The Milwaukee 8 is not and never was a racing motor. It is an evolution of the traditional Harley V-twin. The Twin Cam it replaces was a evolution from the Evo and so on all the way back to the Knucklehead. As a result of more efficient combustion and relocation of the catalytic converter the exhaust temps were lowered by 100 degrees.
    The last Harley motor with 4 valves per cylinder was the V-Rod, before that the only 8 valve motor Harley produced was the 1916 Model 17 racing motorcycle.
    Somebody better tell Harley because they're using it for King of the Baggers racing series. And as far as efficient combustion take a look at a engine tear down after just 500 miles of this engine, they're on YouTube. Every engine Harley ever made is an "evolution" of the previous engine so I don't see the point.
    Last edited by taxfree4; 07-09-2022 at 03:20 PM.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Every engine Harley ever made is an "evolution" of the previous engine so I don't see the point.
    Not technically true. They were commissioned during WW2 to design and make an engine that could hang with the Germans and basically copied the design from BMW. They called it the XA. It was a flat twin and shaft driven, and ran about a hundred degrees cooler than the V due to the fins being out in the air. But God forbid Harley stick with an efficient and long lasting design, so they discontinued them after the Army leaned more into the Jeep, and only a thousand of them were made.

Jason

Then that was an evolution of the BMW engine. My point is that any engine a manufacturer makes is usually an improvement, from wherever they get the technology, or an evolution, in the raw sense of the word.
    Last edited by taxfree4; 07-09-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    You could well be right, but aesthetics are at least somewhat subjective, and I love the look of the newer valks, especially from the seat. It's the ergos I could never warm to.

Jason
    Aesthetics are definitely subjective. I liked the looks of the Rune and thought it was the best looking GL1800 Honda ever built. Others hated it. It sure didn't look comfortable however.

they sella kit to lower the fairing on the road glide and it makes a big difference.
    But again it is another thing you have to buy and install yourself or pay Harley to install.
    Nothing less that Hundred Dollars hence HD

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    they sella kit to lower the fairing on the road glide and it makes a big difference.
    But again it is another thing you have to buy and install yourself or pay Harley to install.
    Nothing less that Hundred Dollars hence HD
    Because Harley has always used its" customers as their R&D Dept. like how big can we make an air cooled engine till it literally fries someone's balls off, then the lawsuit will settle and that'll be their power plateau. BTW, shortleg I sent you a PM a while ago, did you get it?

Somebody better tell Harley because they're using it for King of the Baggers racing series. And as far as efficient combustion take a look at a engine tear down after just 500 miles of this engine, they're on YouTube. Every engine Harley ever made is an "evolution" of the previous engine so I don't see the point.
    King of the Bagger racing is for production motorcycles with production motors. Very few modifications are allowed. The Milwaukee Eight motor is a 45 degree, air cooled, pushrod V twin motor with a flat plane crank. As I said previously it is based on the Knucklehead that was introduced in 1936, It wasn't a race motor in 1936 and is not a race motgor now. Harley has made much more technologically based motors that would have been far better race motors. The new Revolution Max engine is a 60 degree, water cooled, overhead cam, V-twin with a split plane crank and a 9500 rpm rev limit. If Harley wanted to build a race motor this is current technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    King of the Bagger racing is for production motorcycles with production motors. Very few modifications are allowed. The Milwaukee Eight motor is a 45 degree, air cooled, pushrod V twin motor with a flat plane crank. As I said previously it is based on the Knucklehead that was introduced in 1936, It wasn't a race motor in 1936 and is not a race motgor now. Harley has made much more technologically based motors that would have been far better race motors. The new Revolution Max engine is a 60 degree, water cooled, overhead cam, V-twin with a split plane crank and a 9500 rpm rev limit. If Harley wanted to build a race motor this is current technology.
    Again, since the revolution max is not yet on any production motorcycles they're using the Miluakee 8...for racing. Doesn't change anything I stated. I could look up the specs myself, for what, the fact remains that's the engine they're going with.

Again, since the revolution max is not yet on any production motorcycles they're using the Miluakee 8...for racing. Doesn't change anything I stated. I could look up the specs myself, for what, the fact remains that's the engine they're going with.
    The Revolution Max is in both the Pan American and the Sportster S