2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Road Glide vs. '13 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    The Revolution Max is in both the Pan American and the Sportster S
    Again, so then the Milwaukee 8 is the motor to race with in the King of the Baggers because for whatever reason they didn't put it on a bagger, you answered your own question.
    Last edited by taxfree4; 07-17-2022 at 07:31 PM.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Again, so then the Milwaukee 8 is the motor to race with in the King of the Baggers because for whatever reason they didn't put it on a bagger, you answered your own question.
    I did answer that question several posts ago. The King of the Baggers racing series is for production motorcycles with stock motors. The Harley Davidson FL series of motorcycles (Baggers) are only offered with the Milwaukee Eight motor so that is what they must race in that series. It is a production motor not a race motor.

I did answer that question several posts ago. The King of the Baggers racing series is for production motorcycles with stock motors. The Harley Davidson FL series of motorcycles (Baggers) are only offered with the Milwaukee Eight motor so that is what they must race in that series. It is a production motor not a race motor.
    Exactly, they're RACING with it, so the racing motor they're using for racing, in your opinion, is not a racing motor but the one you claim is a racing motor they're not racing with. Maybe you should give this knowledge to Harley and save the company, and the Republic, since you know more than they do. Like I said the M8 was never meant to meet EPA standards, they'll never fix it.
    Last edited by taxfree4; 07-18-2022 at 11:55 AM.

I don't read much motorcycle news these days. Frankly it was more interesting in the 1970s and 1980s when exciting new bikes hit the market every year. I hadn't paid much attention to the Milwaukee 8 since it was introduced. But Az Wingrider's comments got me interested so I took a bit of a refresher course. I have to say the design is impressive. It might even be the engine that saves the company.

H-D had a real dilemma. Compliance with emissions regs had created serious driveability and heat issues. On a ride to Sturgis 15 years ago many Harley riders and especially passengers were complaining about the heat. Clearly upgrades were needed. But history and tradition is important to these owners, who like the look, sound, and (some of) the feel of the air cooled twins. So the upgrades had to be discrete.

I'd say they did a good job. 4 valve heads increased flow by 50%, but the pushrod valve train looks traditional and is maintenance free. Apparently the improved flow didn't just add HP, it also reduced heat. Moving the cat helped as well, and water cooled heads on the bigger bikes cool it even more. I'd heard that the radiators were hidden in the sidepods to keep the purists happy, but I haven't seen conformation of that. A counter balancer eliminated much of the brutal vibration, but intentionally kept some of the character. I get that. As much as I love my F6B and Valkyries, I have to admit they are ultra-refined and very car like. At times I wouldn't mind a bit more personality.

Like I said the M8 was never meant to meet EPA standards, they'll never fix it.
    Where did you hear that?

Well said F6Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Where did you hear that?
    Let's see if they fix it, they won't, you'll be wrong a second time.

The Milwaukee 8 was a racing motor, never designed to deal with EPA restrictions, they'll never fix it.
    One of the design requirements for the Milwaukee 8 motor was that it be able to meet Euro 5 emission standards that went into effect Jan 1, 2020. The Euro 5 standards are much stricter than USA standards. The Euro 5 standards are Carbon Monoxide 1.00 g/km, Hydrocarbons 0.100 g/km, NOx 0.60 g/km and this is for the life of the motorcycle. For example United States EPA standards for Carbon Monoxide are 12.0 g/km. That is 12 times as much allowable Carbon Monoxide. The Harley Davidson FL series of motorcycles (baggers) are certified for sale in Europe. This is a very clean motor for emissions.

Just because you repeatedly claim that this motor will not meet EPA standards doesn't make it true.

One of the design requirements for the Milwaukee 8 motor was that it be able to meet Euro 5 emission standards that went into effect Jan 1, 2020. The Euro 5 standards are much stricter than USA standards. The Euro 5 standards are Carbon Monoxide 1.00 g/km, Hydrocarbons 0.100 g/km, NOx 0.60 g/km and this is for the life of the motorcycle. For example United States EPA standards for Carbon Monoxide are 12.0 g/km. That is 12 times as much allowable Carbon Monoxide. The Harley Davidson FL series of motorcycles (baggers) are certified for sale in Europe. This is a very clean motor for emissions.

Just because you repeatedly claim that this motor will not meet EPA standards doesn't make it true.
    You Google very well, like people who use other people's footnotes as their own. I stated that the motor was never made to meet EPA Standards. You left out the end part of the equation. In order to meet them this motor has to run super hot as I ride with Harley technicians, having myself owned them for 35 years. They have pulled temps of between 350-360 degrees, with their Dynojet Power Visions on regular days with low humidity, highway riding no traffic resulting in cracks in the head usually in between the exhaust ports, piston ring failure, worn valve guides etc, etc etc. This motor was not designed for baggers getting caught in traffic or city riding. You can google all the specs you want, they're useless in real world settings. This racing motor works great on the track. See no googling

Arguing about Harley on a Goldwing forum. Why don't you guys PM each other instead of acting like kids.
    2013 F6B in black of course