Rotational sound front end - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotational sound front end

What Will is saying ⬆️ I’m curious tho, why would you replace only the track side? Shouldn’t need a pointer, spin it and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
    What Will is saying ⬆️ I’m curious tho, why would you replace only the track side? Shouldn’t need a pointer, spin it and go from there
    I'm guessing the track side means RF? My LF and RR pads looked fairly new. (I bought bike last fall) I will put it on center stand and jack later and start inspecting.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

does it get louder when turning right or left like a growling sound ? and how many miles on your F6B

I'd lift the front then spin the wheel to hear the sound. Then remove one side brake pads and spin again, then the other and spin again. Then you move on to checking if the rotor is warped.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

So, I did lift bike and felt the sound was coming from a brake, uncertain witch on. I did a great cleaning with brake cleaner, then a good soap and water bath. Took for a ride today, dead quiet for first 30 miles. End of trip I once again hear a slight rotation. I am going to check tomorrow from a cold start, but I guess it's a possibility that one of the calibers hangs just a tad?? I cleaned the RF prior to brakework but the other side has only had an exterior wash, and brake fluid exchange, so who knows if last brake job was done to a high standard. It does not seem anything threatening by any means, heck most people wouldn't hear it, lol. I'll keep an eye on it.

ps: after sound was slightly present, turns, leaning, heck dragging the brakes did not change it.
    2013 F6B 1800B

Any update on this issue Spencer? I may be experiencing a similar issue, however mine is only present now AFTER brake work.

I still get it. It will go away after a good washing, comes back after a few 100 mile rides. So I think some brake gunk causes it. I plan to dig harder when I get new tires in a couple weeks. I plan to just clean everything 100% as it should be, lube everything etc.
    2013 F6B 1800B

First, I'm gonna plug the Fred Harmon Angel Ride Goldwing Maintenance Videos as a great source for information.

In the video he shows how the brake calipers can be removed from the front tire and swung out of the way of the rotors, which you probably already know how to do. ALSO you can remove the backs (insides) of the calipers and really see and clean everything. Each caliper has three bolts that attach the two halves together. Fred Harmon did it and so did I. Everything went back together very easily. I do suggest doing this with the front wheel (and rotors) removed. It's makes everything MUCH easier.

If you do pull the backs of the calipers off DON'T pump the brake handle or the pistons will go bouncing on the garage floor...Don't ask how I know this!!
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Just another update: Had front tire off (replaced), I took brakes out, cleaned everything, put together as perfect as i could. I drive it, still no rotational sound for first 10 miles. Then slight sound. Mind you, with a full helmet you would not hear this. I have concluded, as everything warms up, things expand a bit. I can lightly drag the brakes and it does not change sound, and front wheel bearings seemed smoothe. I'm calling it normal, and will stay aware for any changes.
    2013 F6B 1800B