Saved the best for last

Thread: Saved the best for last

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What in the name of Sam Hill, took a ride on the new tire and it was the same feeling I had after I rode on my Russell Day Long, I said to myself how the hell did I ever do all those x-country rides without it. 28 psi was a little mushy for this tire so I bumped it up, I'm going to play with it till it feels right. I felt the difference immediately in the ride I took. It just feels more stable, a little more counter steering but nothing drastic. I will do a lot more riding to break that tire in but I definitely feel a difference.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    What in the name of Sam Hill, took a ride on the new tire and it was the same feeling I had after I rode on my Russell Day Long, I said to myself how the hell did I ever do all those x-country rides without it. 28 psi was a little mushy for this tire so I bumped it up, I'm going to play with it till it feels right. I felt the difference immediately in the ride I took. It just feels more stable, a little more counter steering but nothing drastic. I will do a lot more riding to break that tire in but I definitely feel a difference.
    Very good.

It should not take a lot more PSI... the run flats have stiffer sidewalls so if you put too much air pressure in them, the sidewall will not deform correctly during a lean of the bike into a corner. The mushiness you feel is the sidewall deforming to keep more tread on the pavement. You will get used to this sensation and it will not be noticeable later on.

Watch the rub marks on the side of the tread. If it looks like you are rubbing on the area above the edge of the tread, reduce that PSI a bit.

I'll run out in a bit and take a pic of my CT's run flat tread edge to show you what I'm talking about, once this damned rain stops.

On edit: 28PSI

Last edited by willtill; 07-29-2022 at 06:19 PM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Very good.

It should not take a lot more PSI... the run flats have stiffer sidewalls so if you put too much air pressure in them, the sidewall will not deform correctly during a lean of the bike into a corner. The mushiness you feel is the sidewall deforming to keep more tread on the pavement. You will get used to this sensation and it will not be noticeable later on.

Watch the rub marks on the side of the tread. If it looks like you are rubbing on the area above the edge of the tread, reduce that PSI a bit.

I'll run out in a bit and take a pic of my CT's run flat tread edge to show you what I'm talking about, once this damned rain stops.

On edit: 28PSI

Gotcha, will reduce the psi.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius