Downshift issue
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downshift issue

Downshift issue

Hi everyone, first time posting…. Just got a 2015 f6b deluxe, used to have a st1300.. it seems to have an issue, and I’m wondering if anyone has a solution…. Whenever I downshift into 2nd gear, when I give it throttle, it will “catch” like it wasn’t completely in gear? It only does it on the downshift, and only from 3rd to second…. I can work around it, but pretty disheartening, and a bit nerve racking when it does it…. I’d appreciate any feed back.

I would start with an oil change. Mine is finicky around, 1st . N . 2nd
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Synthetic oil helped my shifting dramatically
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Does your F6B have a heal toe shifter?

It does not, I can’t say for certain if it used to or not though..

At the risk of turning this into another "Oil" debate...

I ran Mobile One Full Synthetic and Honda Full Synthetic, but returned back to Honda GN4.

For ME, my 2016 F6B (with 40K miles) transmission shifts better with Honda GN4 10W-40.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I'd be curious if the 3-2 shift would work better if you tried to rev-match by 'blipping the throttle' a bit as you downshift. It's kind of like double-clutching on a car without synchronizers on some lower gears. It makes the shifts smoother on some of my bikes. I just looked it up and there are lots of articles online about this shifting technique.

I’ll try that to see, I’ve finally pinpointed that it’s only on the 3-2 downshift, so now I can try that! I know that the oil thing is prevalent, I’m using mother Honda synthetic.. this shifting issue is hard for me because I was very used to downshifting in the corner, like turning into a slower street.. and this “catch” freaks me out. Lol. Thank you everyone for the advice and effort responding. I love this beast, it is by far the most comfortable bike out of the 5 I’ve owned in my life, and even tho I know it’s a “cruiser” man it’s powerful…

What's nice about the F6B is it doesn't fit in any category. Almost a cruiser, almost a tourer, and almost a sport tourer. When people ask me what the heck it is, I often say it's a crotch rocket for old guys.

When you down shift to second its sounds like it going too far past second.
    Try a little more investigating and see where neutral is after you down shift to second before you let the clutch out.
    Neutral should be an easy touch on the shifter from second.
    Also while you are coasting with the clutch in, go back and forth in the gears at low speed and get a feel for the way it shifts.
    Check your clutch adjustment. Give the clutch lever a longer pull and see what that does.
    ITS ALL GOOD