Downshift issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Downshift issue

That’s great advice, you guys rock… it came with grip “covers”? They’re like bigger grips, that are chrome with black rubber.. I’ve been wondering if these are interfering with the clutch.. but I assumed that if they were, I’d be struggling in more shifting. When you say more pull, are you talking about the dial on the lever that is labeled 1-5? Right now it’s on 4

I would change that dial to 2 or even 1. Might be your issue.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Yes mine is set to 2. Thats where I get the least amount of clatter on downshifts.
    And it took a while to learn to shift it. I would get the "ghost shifts" cause I wasn't putting it all the way in gear.
    When I up shift to 4th gear once in a while it would jump back to 3rd after I let the clutch out and got back on the gas a bit.
    It jumped back to second from third once. I made a clutch adjustment too. Hasn't done it since.
    And, when I let the clutch out in first gear the trans has a wired rattle that bothered me for a while, but you get used to it.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Thanks you guys, I’m finally getting a day off, so I’ll try some of these strategies and let you know, I sure appreciate all the help!

For what it is worth, I have owned a VFR800 and a Super Blackbird and the sport bike shifting was spectacular. When I first started on my F6B I had some false neutrals. I was just barely catching the outside end of the shifter and it was not getting the solid, direct shifting this bike requires.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Does anybody else have a loud 4th gear?
    ITS ALL GOOD

Honda GLs are definitely not the smoothest shifting bikes I've owned. I had a few Kawasakis and Suzukis that shifted much better. I suspect Honda realizes these bikes will often carry and tow a lot of weight, and they sacrifice smooth shifting for durability.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    What's nice about the F6B is it doesn't fit in any category. Almost a cruiser, almost a tourer, and almost a sport tourer. When people ask me what the heck it is, I often say it's a crotch rocket for old guys.
    Great answer!

My 3rd to 2nd shift feels real "notchy". Like it wants to stop half way (kind of like the feel of going from 2nd to 1st). Knowing this, I just make sure I press all the way through the shift. Has always done this. No problems.
    Albuquerque, NM

So have definitely narrowed it down to the fact that it only does this from 3rd to second, it doesn’t seem to fully engage the gear, but once it “catches” it goes into gear and stays until I change gears again. Someone said it might be a bent shifting fork, I tried the “rev matching” but that didn’t work. Anyone else have any ideas? I’m really not wanting to take it in for Maint as the cost of just undressing it will be insane…