Silly question, but I don't do much wiring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question, but I don't do much wiring

Silly question, but I don't do much wiring

Where is a good location to hook the positive line of my new heated Russell seat for an accessory line that will only be hot when ignition is on? Got the new seat today, but wired it direct because I am impatient, just don't want to forget its on someday and kill the battery. Thanks fellas.

In the left pocket there is a wire for a cigarette lighter you should be able to tap into that.
    I don’t remember what color wire it is, might be easier to buy the socket from Big Bikes (Show Chrome).

I need something on the fuse box under the seat for the heated seat wires.

By ‘wiring it direct” I assume you went straight to the battery positive terminal? Not good if you leave the heated seat on. But you knew that. There should be an accessory and ground terminal around the top left side of the battery that is switched and hot only when the ignition is on.

You have an ACC connection in the fuse panel, just in front of the battery, that is powered when the key is ON or ACC position. It's the two ACC Terminals on the top left of the picture. The fuse is only 5 Amp and I don't know what the requirements are for a heated seat.

GL1800 Accessory Terminal Fuse.jpg
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

You can activate a relay from the accessory tap on the front of the fuse box. Then with a properly fused line from your battery to the relay to the seats temp controller wired to your seat.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    You have an ACC connection in the fuse panel, just in front of the battery, that is powered when the key is ON or ACC position. It's the two ACC Terminals on the top left of the picture. The fuse is only 5 Amp and I don't know what the requirements are for a heated seat.

GL1800 Accessory Terminal Fuse.jpg
    Exactly what I was looking for, thanks man, much appreciated.

Just my 2 cents, on that acc 5A fuse, it did not like my heated liner vest power draw, you might want to consider Sorcerer input.

I went to the Russell web site and each heating area, driver and passenger draw 1.5 amps each. Your seat appears to be driver only. As I mentioned above use a relay and fuse the supply from the battery with a 2 amp in line fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    You can activate a relay from the accessory tap on the front of the fuse box. Then with a properly fused line from your battery to the relay to the seats temp controller wired to your seat.
    If you're not sure about motorcycle wiring and relays I'd suggest Beaver Power's Circuit Solutions for a good pre-wired circuit. The picture is the 1 Circuit Solution Switched. Basically, you connect the RED and BLACK wires to the battery and the BLUE wire to the Positive ACC terminal in the fuse panel. Then you crimp on the WHITE connector you see on the top right to the wiring coming from the heated seat, or whatever OTHER wiring you may have.

You must know what your TOTAL current need is for all devices connected to the circuit and then order the same or higher current circuit from Beaver.

1cs-sw.jpg

NOTE: Just read Sorcerer's post that the seat should only be 1.5 Amps. You should be okay with direct connection to the OEM fuse panel ACC connection. Adding in ANOTHER relay and fuse is redundant. Someone may suggest changing the No. 10 ACC fuse with a lower one but I think that fuse provides power to other parts of the bike.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 08-11-2022 at 09:15 AM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.