Bird Strike

Thread: Bird Strike

Bird Strike

Riding through the Nebraska Panhandle yesterday, a bird hit the right radiator intake and lodged between the fan blades. I remember reading about a similar problem, maybe caused by road debris, that damaged the fan. So later in the day as the temp approached 100, I stopped and was able to remove the bird, and make sure the fan could rotate freely.

I was surprised how easily a very small bird broke through that flimsy grill 'protecting' the fan and radiator. The openings are too large to stop bugs, and the thin plastic isn't strong enough to stop anything much larger. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to repair or replace it. Has anyone tried adding something that provides more protection?

I never thought of that plastic grill being vulnerable but now you have my attention.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

After thinking about it I think it may be there to keep rodents out rather than protect against road hazards. Just reach in and flex it and you'll see there's not much to it. I decided to repair mine with a pair of black zip ties. It's not visible at all so no need to get fancy.

I ran the engine until the fans came on to verify that all is well. I didn't realize the fans reverse the normal flow and blow air forward. Never noticed that when sitting in traffic.

I suspect the grills are something that the lawyers required. As a plus they keep those pesky plastic bags that are drifting around on the highway out of the fan.

Yes. They keep the fingers out.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Don't want anything with a fine mesh as it will restrict air flow.

Did you notice how bug wings collect under the speaker covers?
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    Did you notice how bug wings collect under the speaker covers?
    Yes, lots of them. I changed the air filter last month and got to clean that out.

Quote Originally Posted by FLsixB View Post
    Don't want anything with a fine mesh as it will restrict air flow.
    If I was concerned about road hazards hitting that area I'd probably cover it with some coarse wire mesh. Or maybe even chicken wire spray painted black. But I think the location makes it unlikely for much other than bugs to get in there as the fairing partially protects the intake. Full size wings appear to have a grill in the fairing for air to get in there. Notice the openings in the Wing bra, which don't match up with anything on my F6B.