I hear plenty about the booming EV market, but other than Teslas I see very few EVs on the road. That's likely because EVs are rarely a primary vehicle and driven far less than ICE powered vehicles. I read that a typical EV logs less than 5,000 miles per year.

Even if EVs never dominate the market, they should pay their share of road construction and maintenance. Many bureaucrats like the idea of taxing drivers based on tracking devices. That's intrusive and open to abuse. The government tracks us too much already. I'd prefer a taxing scheme similar to gasoline taxes, which worked well for many decades. Simply require both public and home chargers to be metered separately, at a higher rate. A separate physical meter wouldn't even be required as the chargers could log usage and communicate it to the utility company. This would allow EV drivers to help pay for roads without having the government track their movements. The UK recently implemented a similar requirement.

Of course, rising electricity rates due to skyrocketing coal and natural gas prices, along with additional road taxes tacked on to the charging cost will significantly increase the cost of EV ownership. That will make EV ownership less attractive.