Electric Vehicles in Sturgis
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles in Sturgis

Electric Vehicles in Sturgis

This board is kind of dead so I'll post something. I rode up to the Black Hills last week but avoided the Sturgis crowds. Mostly. I couldn't resist riding into town for a few hours to check things out as it's always interesting. The crowds weren't too bad, unlike last year when traffic was gridlocked nearly everywhere. And the weather was HOT. My dash was reading 104 for a long stretch of US-85 in Wyoming.

Here's the closest thing I saw to an EV, a guitarist (pretty good) being followed by a guy wheeling his amplifier, powered by an AC Delco car battery.

I heard Sturgis was warm. I like the amp, wonder how long the battery could last?

I like this funny below, really agitates the EV lovers.

Elec car fuel.JPG
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Lots of Coal!

I stayed at a Wyoming motel with a Tesla charging station. It got used fairly often, as it's a long way to another one in that part of the country. To his credit, Elon built an impressive charging network. None other comes close.

It got me curious so I looked up the electricity sources for Wyoming: 84.3% coal! And those superchargers run at 480 volts and draw 300 amps. I wonder how many Tesla owners know this.

Tesla owners are on a cloud, they don't care. I will say, I rode in a Tesla, damn they are quick and quiet.
    2013 F6B 1800B

How much does it cost to replace Tesla batteries? I contacted our local Toyota dealer and asked the cost of replacing batteries in one of their vehicles and they would not tell me. I then contacted Honda and asked them the cost of replacement in their vehicle. Surprise surprise they also would not tell me.

2013 F6B 1800B

Just as disturbing is the size and weight of the battery packs. 1,200 pounds for the Tesla. 1,800 for the F150 Lightning. And for the new Hummer? Over 2,900 pounds! Think about the wear on roads, and tires.

Our technology's are so old, and their making a lot of money from it.
    As long as we sit by and let it happen, it will only get worse.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Battery technology is great. It's made phones, computers, and other personal devices possible. It revolutionized power tools, even larger tools like mowers and chain saws. It makes sense for smaller vehicles, including motorcycles and E-Bikes, especially for commuting in urban areas. But the last major breakthrough in battery technology was in 1991, when Sony commercialized lithium-ion chemistry. Since then capacity has increased very slowly.

So with modest power density (1/80 of gasoline) battery power quickly loses its appeal as vehicle size and travel distances increase. Battery packs weighing thousands of pounds are hard on roads, tires, and the environment.

But few people ask the most obvious question: where will we get the electricity for millions of new EVs? Our grid is at the breaking point. Blackouts have tripled in frequency since 2015 People literally froze to death in Texas just last year.

Clearly there won't be enough electricity for the 'EV transition'. Rationing will be the required, and is already underway in the UK. Many politicians (and automakers) are surely aware of this. Why are they so silent?

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Battery technology is great. It's made phones, computers, and other personal devices possible. It revolutionized power tools, even larger tools like mowers and chain saws. It makes sense for smaller vehicles, including motorcycles and E-Bikes, especially for commuting in urban areas. But the last major breakthrough in battery technology was in 1991, when Sony commercialized lithium-ion chemistry. Since then capacity has increased very slowly.

So with modest power density (1/80 of gasoline) battery power quickly loses its appeal as vehicle size and travel distances increase. Battery packs weighing thousands of pounds are hard on roads, tires, and the environment.

But few people ask the most obvious question: where will we get the electricity for millions of new EVs? Our grid is at the breaking point. Blackouts have tripled in frequency since 2015 People literally froze to death in Texas just last year.

Clearly there won't be enough electricity for the 'EV transition'. Rationing will be the required, and is already underway in the UK. Many politicians (and automakers) are surely aware of this. Why are they so silent?
    Because they're idiots?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537