Electric Vehicles in Sturgis - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles in Sturgis

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Because they're idiots?
    Some are. But some are fully aware that this 'energy transition' will limit mobility and other freedoms.

Here's a sample of what they may want. In the UK, mandated 'smart chargers' shut off from 8-11 AM and 4-10 PM. And when the grid is short on power, the chargers reverse flow and take power FROM your EV! Imagine the government siphoning gas out of your tank when others 'need' it more.

Last edited by SpencerPJ; 08-21-2022 at 07:26 AM.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Quite an interesting topic here. I drive a Tesla and it weighs in at 5381 pounds. I used to drive a 2003 Tahoe Z71 that weighed in at 5050 pounds. That said, how much extra wear on the roads do you believe that additional 330 pounds will produce?

I researched these things for a few years and made a choice to purchase. I am not a fanboy, still have my F150, and know most of my electricity currently comes from coal fired plants. I also know that there is no way a complete and immediate switch to EV is possible or even expected given our current grid. (I also work in the renewable energy space)

This kind of reminds me of the perceptions and opinions associated with the darkside debate, which I also tried and did not burst into flames as a result.

If you have any additional questions, ask away.

As I said earlier, lithium ion (and similar chemistries) battery technology has been a revolution for personal devices and tools, and works great for smaller vehicles, especially when driven short distances. It's when the vehicles get large, like the new Hummer with a 3000 pound battery, that ICE power has a big advantage. Elon has built an impressive charging network. No other manufacturer even comes close. For that reason alone if I were interested in an EV I'd only consider a Tesla.

A few questions. What is the Tesla's primary use? Do you have a level 2 charger at home? Have you taken long, multiple day trips, and if so what was your charging experience?

Yes, that Hummer is quite a beast. Tesla has certainly built the best charging network given they had about an eight year head start.

My primary use is commuting to work. I was burning about $450/month in fuel and now use an equivalent $30/month in electricity for the same mileage.

I do have a level 2 charger at my home and I simply plug in every evening when I get back to the house and charge it to 80% of capacity. That keeps me off of the Superchargers unless I am traveling.

I have taken one extended trip to Panama City from Chattanooga which took about 9 hours. It was my first extended trip and I initially suffered from range anxiety. The strategy, as mapped out by the software, is to arrive at the next charger with around 10-15% charge left, then charge just enough to get you to the next charger. They charge the fastest up to around 70-80% and then trickle off so that last 20% can take as long or longer than the first 80%. When traveling, it is just not worth the wait to top off. You charge fast and move on to the next stop. That range anxiety caused me to stay a little longer at a couple of the stops and grab a little more just in case. In all it was about 4 stops with the longest being 50 minutes (lunch break) and the remainder being around 20-30 each. While there I was able to charge at a Supercharger 5 miles up the road and saved about $400 in fuel that week.

In all it added a couple of hours to the travel time which were used for breakfast/lunch breaks. I have not considered a longer multi day trip yet but there are people doing it every day so who knows. I may do it one day.

Imagine if you carried a 5KW gas powered generator in the back of your EV's. That's convenience.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

F6Pilot, are you charging your batteries at home to 80% to increase the longevity of the batteries?
    If so do you have a setting that shuts off the charger at 80%?

Yes, they recommend daily charging to stay around 80% to reduce degradation. The only time I fully charge is if I anticipate an extended drive/trip. I set the value in the app on my phone which is connected to the car and sets the preferred max value.

Imagine if you carried a 5KW gas powered generator in the back of your EV's. That's convenience.
    Maybe more along these lines...

IMG_6749.jpg

Actually, such a contraption is already being marketed! It's a generator/trailer to keep your EV going. At first I thought it was a joke, but apparently not. Why don't people just buy a hybrid?

https://gajitz.com/little-generator-trailer-lets-electric-cars-go-the-distance/