Electric Vehicles in Sturgis - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles in Sturgis

Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    most of my electricity currently comes from coal fired plants.
    I was surprised to see that in Tennessee, nuclear provides most of the electricity. The major sources are nuclear (44%), nat gas (20%), hydro (11%), and coal (23%). Biomass, solar, and oil provide the other 2%. Source: https://www.electricrate.com/data-ce...rces-by-state/

My statement regarding coal was not literal, but rather in general. We have one of the lowest power costs in the nation as a result.

My statement regarding coal was not literal, but rather in general. We have one of the lowest power costs in the nation as a result.
    Save me a bachelors cabin there somewhere. Deep in the woods. I need a getaway place when my wife retires. Seriously.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Hey Will, it's funny how many contacts I receive regarding moving to Tennessee. Reserve Bum moved just north of me in Riceville and George and Jody (Hocrod) were looking around a while back.

Plenty of places to hide or get lost around here. If you head this way, you need to bring some blue crab and a cannolis from Vaccaro's in Baltimore.

That's a balanced mix of electricity sources. I can see how your rates have stayed low. And it's very clean, with 75% from nuclear, nat gas, and hydro.

It should be interesting to see what happens to electric rates now that natural gas and coal prices have more than tripled from just a year ago. Those commodities provide over 2/3 or our electricity, but utilities have long term contracts which have shielded ratepayers from the worst of the increases. As those contracts expire Americans are in for some shocking utility bills this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    That's a balanced mix of electricity sources. I can see how your rates have stayed low. And it's very clean, with 75% from nuclear, nat gas, and hydro.

It should be interesting to see what happens to electric rates now that natural gas and coal prices have more than tripled from just a year ago. Those commodities provide over 2/3 or our electricity, but utilities have long term contracts which have shielded ratepayers from the worst of the increases. As those contracts expire Americans are in for some shocking utility bills this winter.
    It will be interesting to watch utilities as the EV market continues to heat up and demand increases. Here is an older 2016 article regarding TVA, the main reason the region has such low rates.

Balanced Fuel Portfolio Helps Reduce Ratepayer Costs (tva.com)

I hear plenty about the booming EV market, but other than Teslas I see very few EVs on the road. That's likely because EVs are rarely a primary vehicle and driven far less than ICE powered vehicles. I read that a typical EV logs less than 5,000 miles per year.

Even if EVs never dominate the market, they should pay their share of road construction and maintenance. Many bureaucrats like the idea of taxing drivers based on tracking devices. That's intrusive and open to abuse. The government tracks us too much already. I'd prefer a taxing scheme similar to gasoline taxes, which worked well for many decades. Simply require both public and home chargers to be metered separately, at a higher rate. A separate physical meter wouldn't even be required as the chargers could log usage and communicate it to the utility company. This would allow EV drivers to help pay for roads without having the government track their movements. The UK recently implemented a similar requirement.

Of course, rising electricity rates due to skyrocketing coal and natural gas prices, along with additional road taxes tacked on to the charging cost will significantly increase the cost of EV ownership. That will make EV ownership less attractive.

I have to fill out the same form every year at the license bureau about weather my 2009 grand cherokee is electric or not.
    If it was electric, it would cost me $200 more. If it was hybrid, It would only cost $100 more.
    They want us all driving EV's, but their gonna charge the crap out of us in the process.
    The more we transition to total electric the more it will cost.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I couldn't imagine having to plann a long trip, and having to schedule places to stop for a "recharge". Heck, when I take off on a week or two on the bike, I don't even make ANY motel rsvp in advance. Now, I see California, has just passed a law, outlawing gas powered cars after 2035. Glad I don't live there.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Now, I see California, has just passed a law, outlawing gas powered cars after 2035. Glad I don't live there.
    Several states, including Colorado where I live, have adopted California's vehicle standards. So gas powered vehicles will likely be banned in other states as well. Most people are completely unaware of how radical the 'green' agenda is, and how much of it being implemented. Here's the list of 'California Clones':

Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia.