Electric Vehicles in Sturgis - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles in Sturgis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    F6Pilot, are you charging your batteries at home to 80% to increase the longevity of the batteries?
    If so do you have a setting that shuts off the charger at 80%?

Imagine if you carried a 5KW gas powered generator in the back of your EV's. That's convenience.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Imagine if you carried a 5KW gas powered generator in the back of your EV's. That's convenience.
    Maybe more along these lines...

IMG_6749.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Actually, such a contraption is already being marketed! It's a generator/trailer to keep your EV going. At first I thought it was a joke, but apparently not. Why don't people just buy a hybrid?

https://gajitz.com/little-generator-trailer-lets-electric-cars-go-the-distance/

Yes, they recommend daily charging to stay around 80% to reduce degradation. The only time I fully charge is if I anticipate an extended drive/trip. I set the value in the app on my phone which is connected to the car and sets the preferred max value.

Hey Will, it's funny how many contacts I receive regarding moving to Tennessee. Reserve Bum moved just north of me in Riceville and George and Jody (Hocrod) were looking around a while back.

Plenty of places to hide or get lost around here. If you head this way, you need to bring some blue crab and a cannolis from Vaccaro's in Baltimore.

I hear plenty about the booming EV market, but other than Teslas I see very few EVs on the road. That's likely because EVs are rarely a primary vehicle and driven far less than ICE powered vehicles. I read that a typical EV logs less than 5,000 miles per year.

Even if EVs never dominate the market, they should pay their share of road construction and maintenance. Many bureaucrats like the idea of taxing drivers based on tracking devices. That's intrusive and open to abuse. The government tracks us too much already. I'd prefer a taxing scheme similar to gasoline taxes, which worked well for many decades. Simply require both public and home chargers to be metered separately, at a higher rate. A separate physical meter wouldn't even be required as the chargers could log usage and communicate it to the utility company. This would allow EV drivers to help pay for roads without having the government track their movements. The UK recently implemented a similar requirement.

Of course, rising electricity rates due to skyrocketing coal and natural gas prices, along with additional road taxes tacked on to the charging cost will significantly increase the cost of EV ownership. That will make EV ownership less attractive.

I have to fill out the same form every year at the license bureau about weather my 2009 grand cherokee is electric or not.
    If it was electric, it would cost me $200 more. If it was hybrid, It would only cost $100 more.
    They want us all driving EV's, but their gonna charge the crap out of us in the process.
    The more we transition to total electric the more it will cost.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I couldn't imagine having to plann a long trip, and having to schedule places to stop for a "recharge". Heck, when I take off on a week or two on the bike, I don't even make ANY motel rsvp in advance. Now, I see California, has just passed a law, outlawing gas powered cars after 2035. Glad I don't live there.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Now, I see California, has just passed a law, outlawing gas powered cars after 2035. Glad I don't live there.
    Several states, including Colorado where I live, have adopted California's vehicle standards. So gas powered vehicles will likely be banned in other states as well. Most people are completely unaware of how radical the 'green' agenda is, and how much of it being implemented. Here's the list of 'California Clones':

Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia.