Opps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opps

Opps

I dropped my bike today
    I’m on a little vacation and My parking spot is a incline I was trying to back it up I put the bike in neutral I still couldn't pack it up so I decided to get off the bike and I would push it back that way as soon as I put the kick up stand down and got off the bike it rolled forward no damage to the bike thank God for crash bars
    But I needed help to pick it up I knew that I could lift it up I really didn't have any way to hit the brake safely

I’ve laid mine down twice, softly, in a week, and am just as thankful as you for the crash bars. No damage at all to the plastic. I was able to pick it up by myself though.

Butt against the seat, lift with your legs. You do need decent knees to be successful.

That's the thing with heavy bikes, you have to gauge the pavement as you ride in, making sure you park uphill rather than downhill. They can be beasts to move around if your flatfooting it.

I've laid my bike down a couple of times in the past. On purpose though. To change my rear tire.
    Last edited by willtill; 09-21-2022 at 06:23 AM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Butt against the seat, lift with your legs. You do need decent knees to be successful.
    Yes that’s what I did, but once upright (I am on a hill) and I was afraid of the bike rolling so I asked for help.
    Last edited by JackB; 09-21-2022 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Also, put it in gear and LET IT roll forward...After you mostly lift the bike, you're still supporting it with your body, AND the clutch is engaged or let out and in 1st gear.

I'm starting to pay closer attention to the travel and direction of travel when this big heavy bike is parked, in gear, and on the side stand.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 09-21-2022 at 08:35 AM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Yes that’s what I did, but once upright (I am on a hill) and I was afraid of the bike rolling so I asked for help.
    If You can’t get the bike in gear and be positive it’s in gear tie off the front break lever. I carry a bit of string just for that. When I’ve been on ferry’s, in gear and I will tie off my front break lever whether it’s on the side stand or center stand. With a 29” inseam I’ve been in your predicament more times than I can remember. Before I attempt your move I shut the bike off in gear. I then can use the clutch lever as a break. When in doubt, seeking help beats hurting yourself.

Some good suggestions here for sure as picking up these beasts is never easy.

Off topic, I really like the red accents you have put on your ride. I've been wanting to do some red myself to my black '13, but my wife is against it saying she likes the stealthy look.

I zip tie the front brake when i lay it down to change the back tire.
    Butt against the seat and push it up with your legs and grab the hand rail on the seat.
    Turn the handle bars toward the side its laying on.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by skidz View Post
    Off topic, I really like the red accents you have put on your ride. I've been wanting to do some red myself to my black '13, but my wife is against it saying she likes the stealthy look.
    I was able to get the 40th anniversary RED cylinder head covers to replace the stock "chrome" ones. It's a small color change that I like and few people notice. I'll be looking for a cheap way to add a MATTE red to the inside of my front vents.

@Jackb I guess we're saying...Even though your bike is on it's side it STILL looks GOOD!
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.