Removing Emblems and Saddlebag Reflector
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Emblems and Saddlebag Reflector

Removing Emblems and Saddlebag Reflector

Want to remove the Honda emblems and the saddlebag reflectors on my Black 2013 Deluxe. Because it doesn’t have a clear coat I am hesitant. Has anyone removed theirs? Will I do be left with shadows or damaged paint? Thanks.

If your talking the “Honda” letters on the front and rear, not a problem. As for the reflectors, I see some have and replaced them with lights.

To remove the letters, sit the bike in the sun and let it get warm. Use a piece of floss or fishing line and “cut” or “pull” it under them. If there is any residue, some “goo off” or decal remover will clean it up. Wax or polishing compound should fix you up. Sorry, but I’m no help with the reflectors

I took the reflectors, they are just glued on, easy to take off.

double sided take piece of fishing line and a good heat gun they will come right off. I removed mine for the black "1800" swoops.

I bought my bike used and added the emblems to the front lol. I like them and want people to know what it is. That’s just me, not saying anything negative.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I took the reflectors, they are just glued on, easy to take off.
    Is the entire plastic piece (base) glued on or is it just the red reflector itself that you removed? If it was the entire base what was underneath? Did you need to paint? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mjbohrman View Post
    Is the entire plastic piece (base) glued on or is it just the red reflector itself that you removed? If it was the entire base what was underneath? Did you need to paint? Thanks.
    The base comes off and it is painted underneath

careful with that goo gone and similar. I took the chrome "Honda" off the front and had a little glue left on....used the goo gone and it smeared and left a spot that I couldnt get off. Luckily I put a black "Honda" emblem on (one letter at a time) and covered most of it. I know its there and see it but its not obvious to others

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    careful with that goo gone and similar. I took the chrome "Honda" off the front and had a little glue left on....used the goo gone and it smeared and left a spot that I couldnt get off. Luckily I put a black "Honda" emblem on (one letter at a time) and covered most of it. I know its there and see it but its not obvious to others
    Yep. Had the same issue when I pulled that front emblem off of the valance. Time in the sun and age has remediated the shadow left though...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Everyone is mostly correct...except...

You need a pencil, and 8" to 12" of nylon fishing line.

Make a garrote by breaking the pencil in half and then tie each half to opposite ends of the fishing line (making T-handles on each end). With this you can slip the line under each emblem and then use the handles to GENTLY 'saw' back and forth working your way through the adhesive layer that holds the emblem to the bike. The adhesive layer is really just a length of double-sticky-sided foam.

Wait for a warm sunny day and leave the bike out in direct sunlight for 45 mins or so before you start. Warming things up will make your job easier.

Most likely, you WILL have some residue or even part of the adhesive layer left on the bike. DO NOT use Goo Gone or similar to get that up. Goo Gone WILL work....but most people use too much of it and use it improperly....so it stains the tupperware.

Instead.....take your time and use your fingers or thumb to gently rub and just roll the remaining bits off the plastic. Dont use fingernails...most likely you'll scratch the finish. Just rub back and forth.

Once you get all the bits up....then you can use a good cleaning wax/rubbing compound/whatever you feel most comfortable with to polish out the rest.

Dont be in a hurry. Work slowly. Do it right and when youre done it'll look like it was never there.

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---