Pulling power for bar-mounted accessories - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulling power for bar-mounted accessories

I have never liked running wires from a stationary point on a bike to the handlebars. I have a Garmin Zumo mounted on my clutch assembly using a RAM mount. I purchased a 60" power cord and ran it from the accessory spot in the fuse box up under the body panels to the steering head, then up the handle bar. Just like the stock wiring harness. Plus power to the Garmin is cut when the bike is shut down.
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    I have never liked running wires from a stationary point on a bike to the handlebars. I have a Garmin Zumo mounted on my clutch assembly using a RAM mount. I purchased a 60" power cord and ran it from the accessory spot in the fuse box up under the body panels to the steering head, then up the handle bar. Just like the stock wiring harness. Plus power to the Garmin is cut when the bike is shut down.
    This is the way I'll do it for my radar detector. The USB power for my Garmin, looks like tapping under the cubby is the way to go.

Splitter Adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
    The correct, and easiest way to do this is buy the splitter adapter, and plug that splitter into the RED connector under the left side cubby.

Once you remove the left side cubby, you will find a fairly clear looking rubber boot, that has a GREEN connector, and a RED connector.

The GREEN connector is for plugging in your Aux. audio device, such as a MP3 player, and I-Pod, etc. There is a wire that comes with the bike...should be inside the left cubby, or maybe in a saddlebag, maybe in a plastic bag that possibly had the owners manual in it. That WIRE...with a GREEN connector on the end, will plug into the GREEN connector under the left cubby.

Then...the RED connector is left down there, so you buy a splitter adapter, which allow you to have a Y-splitter...or a Y-connector...so you can plug a wire into one of the legs of the Y...and use that as a power source that mounts inside the cubby....and you can run a power wire to the other leg of the Y...so that you can power up items like a GPS, or a Radar Detector, and have those items mounted on the handlebars, or up on the dash...wherever you like.

There is MORE than enough power coming out of that RED connector under the left cubby, to power up the normal things we use up front. Example, I have a splitter adapter plugged in on mine, and I have one power source going to the inside of the cubby, and another power source going to my GPS that is mounted on the left handlebar area. The power source INSIDE the left cubby feeds power out to my Valentine One radar detector, mounted on the right handlebar.

By removing the left side cubby...and also the dash itself, you can have access to route all the wires you need to, up the handlbars.

Where do I get this adapter? I had our Zumo 450 set up in my husband's 2005. Now that I'm putting it in my F6B, the plugs are not the same, and neither are the number of bands on the audio plug-in for the unit. It had a kit from the Kennedy Technology Group.

Pedro or Michael, enlighten me please..
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post
    Where do I get this adapter? I had our Zumo 450 set up in my husband's 2005. Now that I'm putting it in my F6B, the plugs are not the same, and neither are the number of bands on the audio plug-in for the unit. It had a kit from the Kennedy Technology Group.

Pedro or Michael, enlighten me please..
    I called lewis at Electrical Connection and had them make me a connector that was just Hitachi>red & black wires>butt connectors. Put the bare zumo wires in, crimp em down, and then plug & play.

Its not on the site so you have to call but it was under $10.

They sell the Y splitter also to run multiple devices for $15