Change of plans
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Change of plans

Change of plans

Was all set to head to Alaska, rooms booked etc. but was decided on a trip to France, never been across the pond. Being I did the x-country last year, change of pace. So I contacted Borreal Lodge, Heidi is a Sweetheart, and Chena Hot Springs in Alaska and just made them move the reservation to the same dates in 2024. Brooks Camp in Deadhorse I had to cancel but I can rebook in 2024, plenty of time. Flight to Paris on a 777-300 then an hour flight on a A318 to Lyon, then a 46km drive to the studio apt I snagged for $51 a day for 2 weeks. July 2 to July 15. If I wind up in the drink I want the F6B to be given back to Wayne who sold it to me. Anyway, I'll take a lot of pictures and post them. How often do you see hairy underarms and legs on women that aren't trannies. Au revoire. I have to brush on my French.

I attached France's new national flag
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Just remember Mike, the French hate everyone... including themselves.

Have fun on your future trip. For the record, I did 9 years in Germany and travelled all over Europe off and on. I never went to France except once, and that during a liaison visit. Had lunch at a French army barracks. Wurst, broth soup and mediocre bread. That was it. The French soldiers in the mess looked like convicts and stared at us like we were from another world...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

Wurst, broth soup and mediocre bread. That was it.
    Soooooo TRUE !

My first visit to France was in 1986, I did the Eurail Pass through Europe with my brother. Was not impressed with France, my uncle lives north of Paris.

The French HATE, I repeat HATE Americans. They can't stand the fact that they were cowards during WWII and we saved their asses. To this day they resent the fact that our brave men have kahunas and the french men have their poodles.

I have family all over Europe, I've visited Europe over 15 times, I was there this past October and will return this summer.....

The BEST kept secret and the #1 European destination for Europeans..... PORTO Portugal and the surrounding areas. Incredibly delicious food, beautiful, rich history and the best Port Wines in the world.

I returned to France 11 years ago (per request not by choice), I did a small tour of Northern Portugal with American friends (they still talk about it to this day) one of the couples had to see Paris... so we spent 3 days there, the food sucked at every restaurant except one small hole in the wall place where the pork chops were very good. Then we flew over to Portugal for 10 days..... At the end of the trip , everyone thanked me and said... "we should have spent the entire trip in Portugal" .

France is nothing ... The Eiffel Tower is no big deal, Eifel was a structural engineer and also designed the PORTO bridge with the lattice steel slats identical to the Eiffel tower.... to show off French engineering in the late 1800's

There's a Medieval Village called OBIDOS , still thriving and you can walk the walls.
    There are Roman ruins, Batalha Monastery and so many other unique and beautiful towns.

TaxFree... change your plans again... You'll be comparing France to stepping on dog poop or even worse to your EX-wives.. after day one or day two... it will start to stink..... your room rate is cheap because no one wants to visit there....just my 2 cents

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

Have fun on your future trip. For the record, I did 9 years in Germany and travelled all over Europe off and on. I never went to France except once, and that during a liaison visit. Had lunch at a French army barracks. Wurst, broth soup and mediocre bread. That was it. The French soldiers in the mess looked like convicts and stared at us like we were from another world...
    I am staying at a location 6000 ft. up a mountain, LA Salette, Falavaux, nothing but hills, hiking and solitude, it's a reboot. As my tag line translates from the Latin "Walk alone walk further". Fatima in Portugal and Loudes in France are tourist sites, I don't like crowds. It's basically a personal pilgrimage. I am what the recent FBI files revealed as enemies a "Traditional Catholic", have been for 25 years and these 3 places are very significant locations. I picked the most secluded one. I know my posts don't always reflect that but it's like that old Indian chief Sitting Bull said "Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good and they fight each other all the time. When asked which one wins I answer, the one I feed the most"

As far as food I have been Keto, One meal a day, sometimes I do a 48 hour just to cleanse, for 3 years and strictly carnivore for 6 months so all I need is a pound of 80/20 chop meat a day, a little salt and I'm good. In regards to being hated, I'm from Brooklyn we're hated all over world, bring it on. I was thrown in jail in Dunn, North Carolina, with my dog in the 80's for a speeding ticket. The cop writing the ticket said when he was a kid he used to go by the highway, Dunn is right off I-95, and throw rocks at the cars with NY plates.Will, you are from another world, you're an American soldier/sailor, the greatest fighting machine ever made. Phantom, what's with the Port wine, are you Jewish? That stuff is sweet.

The Alaska trip will be more significant, for me anyway, next year as I'll be 63, my father died at 63, 33 years gone as of yesterday. My grandfather died the year I was born, 1961, his son, my father, died the year my son was born, 1990, I broke that streak 4 times over, 3 grandsons, 1 grandaughter. The way I look at it France came along for a reason, whatever it may be. I put myself in discomfort every day, working out, getting past the discomfort is key. So to plop myself where I don't know the language, may be hated and have to figure it out is nothing, I'm not interested in being liked, as some of my posts have conveyed. You know I'm going to try and camp out in those hills. Phantom, try some wines from Umbria they're spectacular.
    Last edited by taxfree4; 03-10-2023 at 03:01 AM.

Mike your inbox is full, time to create space.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrider View Post
    Mike your inbox is full, time to create space.
    All done Max

I send you a PM

I haven't been across the pond yet! The wife and kids have a few times now. Sounds like a great time to regroup. I hope you enjoy as it sounds like some good advice in previous post. Safe travels.

Quote Originally Posted by FarsideF6B View Post
    I haven't been across the pond yet! The wife and kids have a few times now. Sounds like a great time to regroup. I hope you enjoy as it sounds like some good advice in previous post. Safe travels.
    Thank you Farside, it'll be my first time over. I decided to change the plans a little. I shortened my stay at La Salette and will be spending 3 days in Paris before I go home. I figured while I'm there I might as well do a little sight-seeing being I'll be in the mountains for 9 days. It pays to buy the flex plan on long hauls.

Quote Originally Posted by FarsideF6B View Post
    Thank you Farside, it'll be my first time over. I decided to change the plans a little. I shortened my stay at La Salette and will be spending 3 days in Paris before I go home. I figured while I'm there I might as well do a little sight-seeing being I'll be in the mountains for 9 days. It pays to buy the flex plan on long hauls.

A little drone footage of the shrine:

https://youtu.be/gjgeWMZ0Dy0

I mute the music