Change of plans - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Change of plans

A slight change in plans, staying at the shrine for 9 days then flying back to Paris for 3 days. Was going to do the usual tour but then it dawned on me, the Normandy American Cemetary and Omaha Beach is only a little over 3 hours NW of Paris. To hell with the Louvre and Notre Dame I'm going to see the Boys of Pointe du Hoc. I have Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt Jr's grave location. My dad wasn't at Normandy, he fought in Belgium for 7 months till schrapnel got him in the back but he was attached to the 4th Division which Roosevelt commanded. Anyway, I will take a tremendous amount of video and pictures and post them. If anyone has a relative there just let me know, I'll visit the grave.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Enjoy your trip, looking forward to pictures. You can keep it interesting by casually mentioning that you retired at “55”.
    ����.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post
    Enjoy your trip, looking forward to pictures. You can keep it interesting by casually mentioning that you retired at “55”.
    ����.
    Thank you, actually, I retired at 47, but who's counting. BTW I passed right by Walnut, a little to the west, last year when I stayed in Santa Ana then headed NW to 101. Looks like a nice town.
    Last edited by taxfree4; 03-24-2023 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Thank you, actually, I retired at 47, but who's counting. BTW I passed right by Walnut, a little to the west, last year when I stayed in Santa Ana then headed NW to 101. Looks like a nice town.
    Well crap, I'm right by Santa Ana in Huntington Beach.

Next year I'll swing low on my return, after visiting Big Larry, and have a beer. I have people in Santa Ana and that Motel 6 there is sweet.

I might head up the coast too, I go up into Cambria and the surrounding area 5 or 6 times a year on average

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Next year I'll swing low on my return, after visiting Big Larry, and have a beer. I have people in Santa Ana and that Motel 6 there is sweet.
    There is a great BBQ place not to far from Santa Ana, if you have time for a cold one and some great grub.

Sauced BBQ 1535 W. Katella Ave, Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post
    There is a great BBQ place not to far from Santa Ana, if you have time for a cold one and some great grub.

Sauced BBQ 1535 W. Katella Ave, Orange.
    Roger that

OOH, that's ok, enjoy your near future trips and tours.

Incorporated a trip, to Bruges, Belgium and then a 24 minute trip, from Bruges, to Ghent on July 14th, a day before I leave. My priest was from Ghent, Belgium, he was a WWII battlefield medic taken prisoner at Dunkirk, escaped from a Nazi prison camp posing as a German officer, whose uniform was given to him by a Catholic Austrian guard. He would never eat sauerkraut because escaping forced him to live in fields and eat grass just to live. He was an eye witness to British soldiers, at Dunkirk, smashing, with the butt of their rifles, the hands of Belgian military who were clinging to the railings of the ships to escape the Nazis. His ancestors were the first proprietors of Governors Island and Staten Island. Mel Gibson should do a story of his life.