OEM GW Windshield
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OEM GW Windshield

OEM GW Windshield

So I was thinking I'd like to try an OEM GW shield but apparently not many people like to sell them.

Does anyone know why I can buy a 2 inch taller shield from Honda for $220, but to get an OEM shield it's $1200?

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

When purchasing a USED Goldwing shield, make sure to ask if it is delaminating or has patches of delamination.

I replaced my Goldwing shield when the Wing only had 3000 miles, these shields have some type of very thin UV film baked into them and do come apart. I ended up throwing my delaminated shield in the trash.

Just make sure that the seller discloses all defects.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    For 100 bucks,,, (vs 1200) to TRY a 1st gen OEM shield,,, no big loss if it does end up in the trash! LOL!

Doubtful that used 2nd gen shields are that plentiful anywho,,,

For 1st gen, 2010 and earlier, only 200 brand new,,, http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...0-MCA-A21.html

I saw the ones on ebay. Scratched up. I ordered a Memphis Shades standard size shield for $150. New bike/new shield. My Baggershield isn't cutting it since I stiffened up the suspension. The wind hits me in the face again, unless I slouch way down. The reason I didn't order the Honda F6B tall shield is because it's narrower at the top. I'll post my thoughts after I get it.

I was hoping someone might know why a standard OEM shield is a grand more than a tall OEM shield.

V-Stream is wider still at the top,,,
    Never too early to start (or add to) that windshield collection!! LOL!!!!
    I've got 4 so far,,,, F6B OEM, convertible baggershield GL1800, Convertible baggershield F6B, and 15" Madstad.

Scotrod....Which of the shields do you prefer of the ones you have....I have the 11"-19"adjustable Baggershield and am totally satisfied at this point....Thanks and your opinion is welcome...Regards..

The Madstad.

The more I looked at the Baggershield, the less I liked the 2 tone look,,, and it seemed like I rarely ran with it 'down',,, Quite a bit of helmet wind noise, even in the up position.

So much quieter w/Madstad. Except for a little flutter around 70-80 (that I'm still working on,) the turbulence/buffeting is gone

I'll probably run the OEM shield occasionally in the summer for short rides/change of pace. Tons of ~smooth~ air, but plenty of wind noise.

Just so you know the OEM GoldWing windshield (i.e. full tour bike) is different than the F6B windshield. The factory F6 shield has 3 fixed holes in it, one on each side and one in the middle with specific collars that hold the shield in place. The OEM tour windshields have 5 slots with plates that go in them so the windshield can move. If you get an OEM shield and don't get the plates that go with it you'll have to do what I did and make collars and washers to hold the shield in place. Then you will probably need some thin foam because the thing will squeak as it rubs against the plastic.

So my point is make sure it has all the hardware on it because your stock hardware isn't enough. OH and there are 5 fixed screw holes on for a screen on the F6 but they are fixed.

Here are some quick picks of what i mean, this is a super tall for windstream for a full wing. You can see the slots in the shield. There are plates that fill that slot with a bolt hole that slides up and down for the wings adjustable screen. The F6 doesn't have that so you gotta make collars and use all 5 holes for safety.

Here you can see it all installed with some foam to stop the squeaking because this shield didn't have the hardware.

Happy hunting and hope that helps. I paid $70 for this one so I was pretty happy.

I believe the 5 slots were used on earlier model Wings and the later wings have 3 slots. (Some aftermarket company's go w/5 slots to 'fit all')
    F6B does have 3 holes.