Normandy, Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc

Thread: Normandy, Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc

Normandy, Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc

All in one day, not too far from each other but it was a 632 km, 400 mile day, which doesn't sound like a lot but going from Paris it isn't fun. All 3 are indescribable BUT Pointe du Hoc takes your breath away. How these men - wet, freezing, loaded down with gear, enemy firing at you ascended those cliffs, it leaves you speechless with a huge lump in your throat. Only the Hand of God could have orchestrated that victory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Couple of pics

I made a similar trip. It was an awe inspiring location. The national anthem playing on the bells in the cemetery was chilling. Had my son in law, national level athlete, run from the water's edge to a machine gun bunker at Juno Beach. It took him 14 seconds to run the distance. He thought he could run faster if someone was shooting at him....like I said, chilling.

I whole heartedly agree, to stand there at Pointe du Hoc and, just for a minute, transform yourself back to the mayhem, between the noise of those guns, bullets coming at you etc. it must have been pure adrenalin to a level that is incalculable. What was heartening to see was that along the way, from the Normandy/American Cemetary to Omaha Beach to Pointe du Hoc, was, still to this day, the road is lined with American flags and American GI banners flying from lampposts with the pictures/names of WWII soldiers.

Great pix, thank you for posting. A needed reminder of the sacrifices that were made to get us where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Great pix, thank you for posting. A needed reminder of the sacrifices that were made to get us where we are.
    Thanks, you feel you're on sacred ground there.
    Here's a 5 minute video I made, there's one at the Normandy/American Cemetery too

https://youtu.be/A8ewrojB4ck